Sarah's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

did not like it
bookshelves: z2015, ya

The only reason I read this book is because I thought it was an autobiography. When I finished reading it, I did some research and found out that it was not a real diary. Now that I know it isn't a true story, I don't really have anything good to say about it.

It really bothered me that the author said it was a real teenagers diary, when really it was just a work of fiction. The author was clearly trying to scare people with this book. When I was reading the book, the only redeeming quality was the fact that I thought it was a real story. While I read it though I did question the authenticity of the "diary". First of all it just seemed unlikely that a drug addict would constantly write in a diary and keep it with her all the time. Secondly, it didn't sound like it was a 15 year old's diary. Even when she wasn't on drugs, it just didn't sound right to me. Halfway through I wanted to stop reading because I was so bored and I was skimming but I kept going so I could find out what happened and also so I could give it a negative review.

The message I got from the author was - "don't do drugs ever. Don't even do them once because then you'll get wrapped up in that world and you'll get raped and abused and beaten and once you decide to get clean, drug users will track you down, bully you, beat you, rape you, drug you and you'll land in a hospital with horrific injuries and then land in a mental hospital. You will be marked for the rest of your life and then you will die because of drugs. Don't do drugs ever. And don't have sex before marriage."

I do think drugs can ruin lives. It was only here a few weeks ago that a young girl died from taking ecstasy. But this book didn't do anything productive. If it scared people out of doing drugs, I suppose that's a plus but for me, it was not a good book and it didn't have a positive clear message. The one good thing (I suppose) about this book was that it told teens that it is okay to speak to someone if you're in trouble.

Don't read this. It's not good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

June 14, 2015 – Started Reading
June 14, 2015 – Shelved
June 14, 2015 – Shelved as: z2015
June 14, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2017 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Josefa (new)

Josefa Herrera I read it a few years ago, because of school and I hated it. It was really difficult for me to finish the book and... I don't know. I think it's the book that I hate more D:

Sarah I can't believe they let this book into schools! I hate it too, it's terrible!

Krista Lynn I really didn't like this book. Now that I see it wasn't even real which I didn't know until right now, I like it even less.

Sarah That's exactly how I felt too! It was so bad for a fictional book.

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Honest review. Good job, Sarah!

Sarah Thanks Sydney :)

message 7: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna H Oh my gosh, I thought this book was an autobiography too and now I'm glad I took it out of my shopping cart whilst shopping for books. This was a really helpful review.

Sarah I'm glad the review was helpful :)

message 9: by heather :) (new) - added it

heather :) I almost bought this not that long ago thinking it was an autobiography. This review was very helpful :) Glad I didn't buy it and so sorry you did.

message 10: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah I'm glad you found it helpful :) haha it was really cheap so I'm not too bothered :)

message 11: by Skila (new)

Skila Milcoff Personally, I really enjoyed this read. I perceived the book simply as a story about a young teen's life that ended up going into a downward spiral because she got into drugs and ended up getting hooked. I understand where you're coming from with the message of the book but I also believe that there's much more to the book than just that. The book itself had great qualities. I liked the format/layout, the action throughout the book, it included great detail and you could feel what the main character was feeling. It really tugged at my heartstrings here and there. It was an emotional rollercoaster in my opinion with everything that happened throughout.

message 12: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah @Skila that’s the great thing about books, they’re so subjective and it’s a different reading experience for every reader! I’m glad you enjoyed it, it just really wasn’t for me :)