Siv's Reviews > Late, Lost & Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning

Late, Lost & Unprepared by Joyce Cooper-Kahn

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

I picked up this book after reading an article on twice-exceptional kids that referenced the book. Two twice-exceptional kids and no educator or doctor had mentioned the term "executive functioning": "...a set of processes that all have to do with managing oneself and one's resources in order to achieve a goal. It is an umbrella term for the neurologically-based skills involving mental control and self-regulation." The executive functions include inhibition, mental/emotional flexibility, emotional control, initiation, working memory, planning/organization, and self-monitoring.

The book is clearly laid out, explaining challenges and providing real-life examples and practical how-to-help tips. Reading as a parent of two very different kids with different strengths and weaknesses, I have lots to digest; reading at the end of school year was not the best timing and I'll need to review it all again in August as we begin a new year's regimen.

The gift of this book lies in its practicality and hope: "...we believe that our children's best hope for the future may lay in the discovery of some strength that blossoms into an island of competence, and perhaps even becomes a continent of possibilities for personal satisfaction and job success. After all, people thrive when they build a life around their strengths. There are many different paths to success, even though this is sometimes hard to keep in perspective during the school years" (202).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Late, Lost & Unprepared.

Started Reading