Siv's Reviews > The Hobbit or There and Back Again

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

liked it

I first read this book when I was 9 or 10 years old. I'm not sure why I read it - it wasn't assigned for school, but maybe it was in the classroom? Maybe a teacher or librarian recommended it? Fantasy/sci fi have never been my standard fair. Still, scenes and themes from this book have continued to resonate in my mind and heart throughout my lifetime: an honorable, hard-earned quest, companionship, Bilbo and Gollum and Precious, power and humility...

As an adult I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy - before the brilliant movies were released. The Hobbit movies are a great disappointment in comparison, but I enjoyed rereading the book with my own child, now just past the age I was when I first read it.

I relate to Bilbo's reaction to Gandalf's suggestion of an adventure:
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them." Though he reluctantly agrees to leave the comforts of home, he often longs to be back in his cozy hobbit hole; except that adventure as a whole changes him so that when he eventually returns, he doesn't mind that the townspeople consider him odd.

My own adventures, however reluctantly undertaken, have changed me enough that I might somewhat-less-reluctantly venture forth again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit or There and Back Again.

Started Reading