Beadyjan's Reviews > The Tapestry of Love

The Tapestry of Love by Rosy Thornton

Recommended for: Anyone who has a pipe dream of escaping the rat race and living abroad.

I enjoyed my "visit" to the Cevennes mountains in France with Catherine the 49 year old heroine of this book, despite never having been there, the authors genuine love for and in depth knowledge of this region is very apparent throughout the book, as is her knowledge of needlecraft when she describes Catherine establishing herself as a seamstress and tapestry stitcher.

It takes a wry and nostalgic look at how a middle aged divorcee, fresh from city life in Britain battles to adapt to life in rural France, running her own business, and struggling to come to terms with her ageing Mothers decline into Alzheimers, back at home in the UK.

We meet her new neighbours, including the enigmatic Patrick and share her frustration at the red tape of French rural beaurocracy.

Its a very easy read if in some parts a little gloomy, lightened by unexpcted touches of humour. I laughed aloud at the string of jobs for diverse and unlikely publications her journalist daughter ricochets between.

Characters who jump off the page and shake hands with you and a setting you can see and smell combine to make this a lovely cozy read to take you away from wintry Britain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tapestry of Love.

November 14, 2010 – Shelved
November 28, 2010 – Started Reading
November 30, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Anne So glad you enjoyed it Jan - one of the best feel-good books I've read in a while...

LindyLouMac This is currently climbing my Mt TBR, looking forward to it reaching the top of the pile. :)