Paul's Reviews > We Shall Inherit the Wind

We Shall Inherit the Wind by Gunnar Staalesen

Jun 13, 2015

bookshelves: crime-thrillers

We Shall Inherit The Wind – Nordic Noir at its Best

We Shall Inherit The Wind by Gunnar Staalesen is the latest in his canon to be translated in to English and published by Orenda Books. Who? Gunnar Staalesen is one of the best writers of Nordic Noir and it is not just me that thinks that, but real experts such as Jo Nesbo and Ian Rankin.

This is not the usual run of the mill police procedural crime thriller, this is a private investigator called Varg Veum, whose name means wolf, who at 65 should really be winding down his career. Varg could cause a riot in a phone box without trying, while aiming to get to the truth, however unwelcome that is. I am no stranger to Staalesen’s Varg Veum and his style of Nordic Noir and what I like is that if you cheat and read the last chapter before you get there it will make no sense to you!

What Gunnar Staalesen is excellent at is that he, like Agatha Christie, dots enough clues throughout the plot as well as a slight of hand so you might be able to work out the villain of the piece but will you be able to predict what the sting in the tail is? There is no telegraphing the plot it is carefully worked out and you need to take each chapter as they come, the descriptions he gives to people, places and actions deepens the imagery in your mind.

Varg Veum has been given a job to find a missing person, someone who owns his own company as well as land that is mired in controversy. As bodies start to pile up, dead and alive, especially when Varg is around always makes the Police a tad weary of him.

Up on the desolate coast line and outlying islands of Norway the Environmental movement are fighting against a wind farm, that besides giving electrical power, would also give much needed work and investment to an area of scant opportunities. All sorts of people have been attracted to the campaign both for and against, with the ever present threat of terrorism it is not until the first body turns up you really do not know who the good guys are.

What Varg Veum does discover is that not everything is what it seems however hard you look, especially when this turns in to one of the hardest cases in his long career. He comes face to face with religious fundamentalism, careers riddled with many conflicts, some very dodgy business ethics that would make a banker blush.

The reason why Staalesen is considered the best Crime Writer in Norway and has a stash of International Bestsellers to his name is packed in to We Shall Inherit the Wind; a love story, revenge and desire all the things a thriller needs. He proves why he is one of the best storytellers alive with a deft touch and no wasted words he is like a sniper who carefully chooses his target before he takes aim.

If you want tough Nordic Noir then this Norway Crime Thriller will tick all the boxes, you are grabbed by the throat from the first chapter and not released until the last. This is a breathtaking wonderful crime thriller that will hook you and you will want to read more Staalesen and you will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Shall Inherit the Wind.

Finished Reading
June 13, 2015 – Shelved
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: crime-thrillers

message 1: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Paul,

Well that's a good review.

I've never heard of this Norwegian writer before but the book sounds very interesting...

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Paul, this is a beautiful review...