Dawn's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by Lance Erlick

17199296

I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

Defiance is the third book in the Regina Shen series. I had read the first 2 books, Resilience and Vigilance, and had stated in my review that I was looking forward to reading the next book in the series (I didn’t know it was finished!) and Lance Erlick was kind enough to send me a copy.

I like Lance Erlick’s writing style. It’s descriptive enough that I can picture what’s going on but not so detailed that I skip over paragraphs, which I tend to do if I get bogged down in descriptions.

Regina Shen only has one goal: to save her sister from the Department of Antiquities; however, she has a big heart and a brilliant mind so she tends to make a mark wherever she goes. She’s also the first person to stand up to the Department of Antiquities in many years so she has a lot of admirers among the people in the lower classes.

Regina’s companion adores her and will follow her to the ends of the Earth but she’s also pretty annoying. She’s constantly talking about settling down even though she knows Regina has to find her sister. She’s also so emotionally needy.

Chief Inspector Demarco continues to be a wild card. It is difficult to figure out what she might do next. She is obviously interested in what is best for her, not what is best for civilization, but once in a while she shows that she might just have a heart somewhere way down deep.

The rest of the many characters are also complicated. Regina has to keep her guard up at all times because there is no way to know who might betray her to the Department of Antiquities. It seems that everyone works for someone in the Federation or is willing to give them information, even Regina’s own mother.

I really like this series. It is full of action and suspense and I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Defiance really shouldn’t be read as a stand alone because so much happened in the first 2 books and it’s obvious that there’s more to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

Started Reading