Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt

Whispers of War by Kit Pearson

Jun 12, 2015

liked it

Not one of my favourites, which was a disappointment as I live in the Niagara region and was looking forward to this one. I've read some of Pearson's historicals and she's a fine author, but somehow I failed to connect with this book. The story was very slow until the ending Battle of Queenston Heights. But most of all the book failed to convince me of its time period. With most of the story being day-to-day life for the characters during this time, I completely forgot we were in the Napoleonic era as the voice was much more modern. OK, but should have been better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers of War.

Started Reading
June 12, 2015 – Shelved
June 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Tiffany I tend to find that this series tones things down for younger audiences. I remember reading this book when I was a child and I was very impressed with it. I am not even entirely certain if Canadians really knew about the Napoleonic Wars. It seems that they were far more concerned with American attacks/American invasion than a war that didn't concern them. I do wish that there was more mention of the Napoleonic Wars, though. It seems that the War of 1812 in North America was directly caused as a result of the British cracking down on American merchant ships going to France during this period.

I spent half of my childhood near Niagara Falls, and knew a lot more about that war than any other event in Canada. Unfortunately, it seems that books regarding this period (fictional wise) are rather few.