Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Before the Fairytale: The Girl With No Name

Before the Fairytale by Iscah

19232021

Seventh Night: Before the Fairtytale: The Girl With no Name by Iscah is a lovely book. This is one of the prequels to Seventh Night, but you don’t need to have read that book to enjoy this one. I have written a review of Seventh Night which is available here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1192315213?book_show_action=false.

First off, the book is well-done. The cover art is great. Interior art along the pages adds a touch of class. Further, the texture of the book is noticeably pleasant. The tome scores a 100 for aesthetics.

The story is written in a fairytale style. It is simply written, but don’t confuse simple with depth of meaning. Reading the text created a sense of nostalgia for me as it reminded me of the fairy stories I first read as a child and continue to dip into on occasion. The book is like an old familiar friend you haven’t seen for a while, especially if you’ve read Seventh Night. The book is also clean, with no profanity or anything else to make it unsuitable to readers of all ages. I like reading such works.

The book chronicles the early life and travels of the eponymous girl (later named Andomare in Seventh Night) from her village home with her foster father to the Gourlin Desert, which is where she is living when she is first encountered in Seventh Night. She wanders to many different places and encounters different creatures and types of people. Morality is incorporated into the story, but it is done so in a soft way. One of the interesting things about the girl is that she is a shape-shifter, and, although she is definitely human, she is unaware of her original appearance as she shifted as an infant and lost her initial form.

Prequels are a little tricky. Often, they do not stand up well as individual works. Iscah, though, has given us a stand-alone tale. I appreciate the complete feel of the book. You do not necessarily need to read Seventh Night to enjoy it. Regarding the reading order, I also don’t think it really matters. I assume most people will have read Seventh Night and become invested in the character to be moved to begin with a prequel, but, since this books stands up so well on its own, I think you would enjoy it if you read the prequel first—what a novel concept!

I am a big fan of Iscah’s work, and I recommend her Seventh Night collection of books. The collection, by the way, is growing as she continues to add to the overall storyline, which is another reason to check them out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before the Fairytale.

Finished Reading