Evelyn (devours and digests words)'s Reviews > Monster Blood

Monster Blood by R.L. Stine

I don't have all 50+ Goosebumps books lining my shelves but I do own enough to make me fall in love with this series in the very first place. In fact, I owe it to R.L.Stine and Christopher Pike for shaping my reading taste into that of an avid horror reader.

The endings to these Goosebump books are often queer, sometimes there wasn't even a happy ending. I remember thinking "Oh man, this is so screwed up!" every time I finished something by Mr . Stine. But in this case, Monster Blood made me go. "Oh wow! This is.. This is.....actually pretty bad."

Before I point out the stuffs that I find wrong with this book, let me be clear that yes, I am aware this is a book aimed for young audiences. Therefore, nothing is truly explained well. Things just happens and stays that way with no explainable facts.

Evan Ross was dropped off at his great aunt's place while his parents search for a new house somewhere in Atlanta. This aunt is pretty damn freaky. She's deaf but talks in perfect strings of words and she argues heatedly with her cat. That's not very normal, is it? One day, Evan visited a toy shop with his new friend and bought a can labelled 'MONSTER BLOOD'. The toy shop owner warned him not to get it for a silly reason that it is too old but of course Evan opposed and bought it anyway. When he got back, he fooled around with it. The blood in it seemed to grow in quantity as hours passed. Eventually, it grew and grew and grew into such a size that it was impossible to contain it anywhere because it outgrows every containers. This monster blood then went berserk and decided to gobble up our characters.

The concept is super. It's not everyday there's a story about some kind of green glob monster blood that eat humans up. This just lacks the right execution. The 'scares' aren't even close to scary. Even if I was age 6 or 8, I still don't think this book will freak me out. What aggravated me is that the suppose-to-be-scary moments always - ALWAYS turn out to be a nightmare instead of a real event. Or a nightmare within a nightmare. Like ugh. How is that suppose to be scary? It's an anticlimax and a total bummer.

The twists in this story aren't that twist-y for me, to be honest. I have read enough Goosebumps books to guess what kind of twists and turns will turn up. It's too predictable.

When the real culprit was revealed, nothing was explained. Shit Things just happens.

I want to know more about the evil cat. I want to know why the creepy, mean aunt got cursed in the first place. Why did the glob shrank into nothing when Sarabeth got pushed inside? How is the Beymer twins suppose to survive inside? Arrg. I want to know so much but nothing was ever revealed. Boo.

To wrap it all up, I tried to just read and enjoy the story but there are just too many things I find wrong making it impossible for me to like this. Monster Blood is not the best Goosebumps book but oh well, there are still 40+ more books in this series that I get to choose from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Blood.

June 11, 2015 – Shelved
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: welcome-to-the-dark-side
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: middle-grade
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: underwhelming
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: childhood-nostalgia

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Matt Which ones are good?