C.G. Drews's Reviews > Never Never

Never Never by Brianna R. Shrum

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Never.

June 11, 2015 – Shelved
June 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 1, 2016 – Started Reading
October 1, 2016 –
page 123
34.55% "I love that Peter Pan is an evil little creep....but Hook is like SO GOOD, SO PURE that it's actually a little insufferable. :/"
October 1, 2016 –
page 213
59.83% "If Hook starts crying ONE MORE TIME I swear I'm feeding this entire book to a ticking crocodile."
October 2, 2016 – Shelved as: retelling
October 2, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
October 2, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 2, 2016 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
October 2, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson Ah, sad case. While I appreciate a story that lets its characters - especially male characters - have emotions (seriously it's such a rarity to see a male character who's not looked down on somehow for being weak and sissy when he dares to be visibly upset about something) this sounds like a character who never got past the age of 12... which I guess is fitting, even if it makes him really really annoying.

Another awesome concept tragically undermined by poor execution. I has a sad.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll My favorite retelling (more of a sequel really) is Peter Pan in Scarlet... maybe you'd like that one! :) (...Of course, since you haven't liked one yet, maybe you will loathe it and that would be sad, so. XD) Sorry this one wasn't for you -- that's the worst. :-/

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna YOU NEED TO WRITE YOUR OWN PETER PAN RETELLING AND DO THE JOB PROPERLY ONCE AND FOR ALL. The world will never get a good Peter Pan retelling unless you do it. #YouAreOurOnlyHope

message 4: by La Coccinelle (new)

La Coccinelle Peter and the Starcatchers! (It's not like the movies. It's more like a prequel/origin story... but it's the best Peter Pan retelling I've read so far.)

message 5: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad Ugh same. Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland are two of my favourite things. Also 2003 Peter Pan is the BEST! Well, that and Hook imo. Jeremy Sumpter, be still my heart.

Madame Reads Agh! I felt basically the same way. I'm madly in love with EVERYTHING Peter Pan too, and this book was SO DISAPPOINTING. But I thought Neverland changing with Peter's mood/location was really cool! I thought it was such a redeeming quality I gave it an extra star.

Madame Reads Also I just wanted to tell you that you are my favorite reviewer. I enjoy your reviews SO MUCH. SO MUCH HAPPINESS. Thanks for doing what you're doing! <3

message 8: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda You might have to write your own!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Since you love Peter Pan, have you tried the retelling Tiger Lily? I don't even like Peter Pan all that much and it blew me away

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Frontera I so enjoyed this review. To be honest I stopping reading after pg 50

message 11: by thea (new) - rated it 2 stars

thea rosemary We're the both the same when it comes to Peter Pan--ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY OBSESSED--but this book didn't do it for me either. I also gave it two stars. It bums me out, because I feel like I can't find a good Peter Pan retelling since TIGER LILY.

message 12: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Redwine There's this amazing middle grade series that I love called Peter and the Starcatchers which are four books as prequels to Peter Pan. I would highly recommend them!

Katherine Lee I'm a little over halfway through with this book and thought maybe it was just me thinking Hook is incredibly whiny in this retelling. I've read a bunch of retellings with Hook as a hero or antihero, and so far this is by far the worst rendition. Hook and Jill, Belle and the Pirate, Hooked and a slew of others are all way better than this.

ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️ If you have not heard of this yet try reading the author BROM. If you like dark Peter Pan his night interest you. I have not read it but it seems to be a popular one

ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️ It’s called the child theif 😏