Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Treasure Island

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Nov 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: el-clasico, fat-kitty-judges-you, kill-it-with-fire, reviewed-2011, masters-of-snoozeville, i-am-disappoint, 1001-books
Recommended for: i have no idea...
Read from July 18 to 24, 2011

Never trust a pirate.

I really love pirates… even though I try to ignore the fact that they’re dirty, rapists, murderers, alcoholics, thieves… aaah many bad things but still, I like the concept so here I am reading this book. Since it’s summer I tend to go towards these stories. One of my wishes is to become a pirate for a determinate amount of time. I’d love to sail away for a while with Jack Sparrow… I know, who doesn’t love Jack Sparrow? *daydreams*

After reading… and reading… and reading some more I decided that this wasn’t what I expected. I was looking for more adventure and the book was lacking it. I decided to finish it though because it’s a classic and all but I do admit that I made a mistake with this one.

Robert Louis Stevenson just takes the fun out of the story. It had potential and it all went to Hell. So thanks Mr. Stevenson, you did a good job on this one. Oh and seriously if you have trouble falling asleep or anything just grab Treasure Island, it’ll cure your insomnia damn easily.

Heh I couldn’t help myself and I had to make this advertisement. Hell, here I come!

I don’t want to be mean and give it a bad review but the story is mediocre. I know it’s a classic and all and I shouldn’t be expecting comic book action but I can’t help feeling bored with it. Call me names but I can’t give it a good score. It would be a lie. The keyword for this book? Lifeless.

Read this review on ZombieHazard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Island.

07/19/2011
07/22/2011
51.0% "Treasure Island - Y U NO FUN?!?!"
07/23/2011
74.0% "O.o"
12/23/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Aly is so frigging bored Wow! Demolished it! I love the picture btw :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer Every time I was lying in bed and reading it I fell asleep! How sick is that?!?!

Thanks for the pic btw :))

Aly is so frigging bored Well, now you don't need sleeping pills :))

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yep! A natural solution I tell you! :))

But still damn the guy he ruined my summer fun!!! :(

Aly is so frigging bored You know there are some romances with pirates yes? I hate them, but I've read some anyway...

Anzu The Great Destroyer They're good? :D

Aly is so frigging bored Uhm.. Some of them :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer Will I miss stuff if I skip? :))

Aly is so frigging bored Nope :D usually not :))

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Usually? :))

Aly is so frigging bored 85-90% of the time? :))

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I could live with that :))

Aly is so frigging bored That way you finish 'em faster and you have more time to read others :))

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Exactly! :)) Good plan :))

Aly is so frigging bored Always see the good part =))

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer See? I'm letting you have the last word.

_________ (insert last word here)

Aly is so frigging bored God, you just can't help yourself :))

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer .....

message 19: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Lofl. This is hysterical.

message 20: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer *evil laugh* :D

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

No adventure....mediocre ....what?!?

message 22: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yep. Bored me to death.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I felt like a pirate when reading this novel and .....I enjoy feeling like a pirate. It's fun.

message 24: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I love pirate tales, I'm currently reading The 13 Lives of Captain Bluebear and it's loads of fun.

Michaela lol That picture made me laugh so hard! Even if I can't possibly agree with it lol :D

Tricia Bayer-burkholder Reading it aloud to my boys every night. This was our first "chapter book" reading experience and they don't seem to like it and I don't seem to be able to get into it. Maybe you must read this as a child first? I have to agree with you. It's ok, but it's not in my top books. I DO have about 50 pages left though. We are determined to make it through the whole book.

message 27: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Tricia wrote: "Reading it aloud to my boys every night. This was our first "chapter book" reading experience and they don't seem to like it and I don't seem to be able to get into it. Maybe you must read this a..."

Maybe reading it as a kid would have been better. Too late to find out.. Hope you manage to finish it ^^

Zachariah Perhaps you were disheartened by the heavy use of technical sailing terms? I'm no seaman but I enjoyed looking up all the terms. I thought that Treasure Island was perhaps as realistic as a Pirate tale could be. I find the events as they play out in the novel to be quite believable. I suppose you were looking for something more like Pirates of the Caribbean (film) than...a crew of gentlemen and honest hands holed up in a destitute wooden fortress discussing the realness of their situation..low provisions, wounded men, mutineers with an unknown amount of ammunition, a lost ship, etc.

message 29: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Zachariah wrote: "Perhaps you were disheartened by the heavy use of technical sailing terms? I'm no seaman but I enjoyed looking up all the terms. I thought that Treasure Island was perhaps as realistic as a Pirate ..."

I guess I did :)

Kusanar I could not agree with your review more! I also laughed pretty hard at your 'advertisement' for the book also put me to sleep, and I NEVER fall asleep while reading.

message 31: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Kusanar wrote: "I could not agree with your review more! I also laughed pretty hard at your 'advertisement' for the book also put me to sleep, and I NEVER fall asleep while reading."

I'm glad I'm not alone on this!

message 32: by Bukk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bukk Honest question. Are you 11?

Whereismymind i fell asleep while reading all the time! XD

Benja At least you got a joke out of it.

message 35: by Bukk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bukk I predicted the very last line (or at least something having to do with modern run of the mill zombie fixation) from the very first paragraph. I like when that happens.

Lauren Oh thank goodness! I thought something was wrong w./ me b/c I didn't like it!

Ronisia I believed I was the one who found it veeery boring. I read it in Italian, then in English, but nothing changed (yawn). Good vs Evil. The only well built character was the old Long John, but so annoying and irritating for the rest. Thanks for making me feel not so alone.

IgnacioProfano You're fucked up.