Kim at Divergent Gryffindor's Reviews > Legacy of Kings

Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman

Jun 10, 2015

bookshelves: from-netgalley

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Legacy of Kings is about Alexander the Great, heir to the Mecedonian throne who would one day become the greatest warrior and conqueror in history. Set in his late teen years, Legacy of Kings aligns in the time when Alexander is just about to discover his true greatness.

I don't know anything about Alexander's time or about Alexander the Great himself, only that he conquered great amounts of lands and is a great warrior. Despite that fact, I was still eager to read this book because I've always been fascinated by historical fiction, and there's this interesting book in the young adult genre. I also heard that Eleanor Herman is a historian, so that's a definite bonus.

Legacy of Kings was a bit of a let down from my great expectations, but I still really enjoyed it. That should teach me not to have great expectations next time! This first book opened up a world that I never knew of before - a world filled with treachery, mythology, magic and mystery - and I was really excited to be immersed in that world.

The reason why I was let down was because I think this book did an amazing job as a first book in a series - setting the world and letting the readers get a feel of how the series will turn out to be. But as a standalone book, I felt like it didn't really make a full story. Another thing is that I felt like there were too many POVs in the book. There were 6, and I felt like in trying to fit that much perspective into the book, Legacy of Kings didn't have much room for the actual story anymore.

I couldn't connect with the characters much, but I couldn't connect most to Zofia, probably because she was so far away from everything that was happening. She's the one who really confuses me when her POV emerges because I often forget what was happening with her. The characters that I can connect to the most are Kat and Alex, and also Heph towards the last 10% of the book.

I really liked this book and delving into it's world, but I didn't love it. My favorite is the last 10%, which was really fast-paced and exhilarating. Even though it's a book that I didn't love, I'm still really, really excited to read the next book in the series! I think that the second book is bound to be ore exciting and I'm excited to see what's in store for the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy of Kings.

June 10, 2015 – Shelved