Sue (Hollywood News Source)'s Reviews > Trouble Is a Friend of Mine

Trouble Is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-own, mystery, high-school, authors-of-color, filipino-authors, crime, audiobook
Read 2 times. Last read August 3, 2015.

Second read: November 23, 2016
Rating: 4 stars

I'm adjusting my rating because I realized I really really like this book despite its satire tone bordering offensive at some aspects. No book ever made me laugh as much as this series did and Crazy Rich Asians. I'm excited to read the sequel!

Initial read: August 3, 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Trouble Is a Friend of Mine is not for everyone. The opening was slow, there is some concerning offensive content.   In spite of its shortcomings, I still genuinely adore this book.
“Nah it's too late: You care. You're on Planet Digby now. You're already in trouble.”

Zoe meets Digby.

In this YA mystery series, newbie Zoe meets Digby in unlikely circumstances. They quickly developed a strange camaraderie, one that revolves on investigating the case of a missing teenager. Thereafter, adventure, mayhem and tragedy ensue.

Trouble Is a Friend of Mine sounds like a story that could either be an absolute fantastic ride, or merely cliché. In this case, this book straddles the line of barrel of fun and sheer pettiness. One that clearly works out for me

Characters

It took me a couple of chapters to warm up with these batch of characters, but in the end they turned up to be fun to read. The characters are well developed, though they could be overwhelming at times. The banter and friendship are without doubt, one of my favorite things about this novel. I hope Tromly would explore this at the sequel. I love the dialogue and the certain snark of this book. I couldn’t help, but to laugh out loud.

Plot

The premise promises a fun expedition and Tromly deliver it well with her trademark knack for sarcasm and pop culture reference. It’s entertaining and predictable. It was quite obvious who are the villains from the start. Thankfully that didn’t derail me on ditching this book.

Things I didn’t liked

Since most of my friends despise it whenever there’s a girl hate trope going on. I’d like to make a note tha Trouble Is a Friend of Mine have plenty of indictment scenes that are quite cringe inducing. It’s not as bad like most books, but it’s still insidious.

* Zoe would lament she hates typical girls
* Super Mean Popular Gal in School Displays Narcissistic Hostile Behavior

This trope needs to die and its not the only way to execute the tension between the girls.

If Digby is a real boy, he deserves to be put on the police blotter. He shows up at most random times, invading Zoe’s personal space. Stalking!

Digby and another prominent main character, Henry occasionally spout sexist commentaries.  I’m glad Zoe is always there to call them out of their bullshit.

Overall, Trouble Is a Friend of Mine is something I would heartily recommend to readers who are looking for a light read that doesn’t take themselves seriously.

Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trouble Is a Friend of Mine.

Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)
June 10, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
August 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 2, 2018 –
page 49
14.58% "My favorite hobby is rereading my favorite books or listening to the audiobook. Since Trouble series is coming to an end this year, I thought I'll pick it up. I'm reminded how I love the gang so much."
February 4, 2018 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)