Mat's Reviews > Soccernomics

Soccernomics by Simon Kuper

Nov 12, 2010

it was ok
Read from November 12 to 26, 2010

This book aims to use econometrics to analyze trends in football and show how common perception is inherently flawed, whether when iot pertains to which teams should win, which players should succeed or where they should be from.

The book tackles a variety of topics, but not all will grasp your attention. Some were truely interesting, namely the ones regarding clubs' transfer philosophy and what makes expatriate players succeed, or analyzing the history of european clubs to explain the evolution of club football and how social history and demographics will carve the fuiture of the competition.

Some left me a bit bored, like the part about England over achieveing was fun at first but grew a bit long and boring (who cares really whether they over or under achieve as long as they keep losing? ha!) and the part that tries to ascertain which country is the most football crazy or overachieves most. Based on that analysis, the authors imply (with a respectable error margin of course) which countries will eventually become the champions of tomorrow. We'll see how it plays out but the conclusions left me quiet underwhelmed and doubtful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soccernomics.