Bianca van Willigenburg's Reviews > The Dracula Tape

The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen

Nov 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, fiction-fantasy

The Dracula Tapes tells the story of Bram Stoker's Dracula but from the point of view of Vlad Dracula himself.

Although I did like this book it's hard to explain why I just liked it and why I didn't love it. It's well written and everything "fits" with Dracula. The only thing I didn't like so much was that Vlad often refers to one of his habits, only to tell the reader that he will explain fully later on in the book. When he does come back to it it is often explained very shortly.

What I do like is that Saberhagen didn't try to redeem Dracula. Many vampires in books now are nice and misunderstood. In this book Vlad is what he is, he drinks blood and occasionally kills somebody. He is less of a monster Van Helsing makes him out to be (he doesn't murder everybody and he usually drinks animal blood instead of human blood) but he isn't that much of a likeable character. The lack of really likeable character in this book might be why I liked instead of loved it.

The Dracula Tapes is the first part of a series and I want to read the other books, but I'm not rushing out to get them immediately.

I like books that give a different point of view of another, wellknown, book. Another good example is Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea, which tells the story of mr. Rochester's crazy wife in the attic in Jane Eyre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dracula Tape.

November 12, 2010 – Shelved