Kylie Coulter's Reviews > The Magicians' Guild

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan

Nov 11, 2010

I love Trudi Canavan's ability to create imagined worlds with strong characters. Sonea is an ordinary slum girl, poor, yet honest. She has questionable ties that she left long ago in order to pursue a life her aunt and uncle would approve of. When the magicians of the guild come to purge the city of slum scum, Sonea finds herself amongst her old friendships. In the spirit of the rebellion from the city folk Sonea throws a stone at a group of magicians who have a magic shield up. Using her anger, she wishes the stone would break through the force field, and it does. The rock strikes a magician in the side of the head, causing her to become the sole target of a city-wide search. Sonea makes various ties with thief's in a desperate attempt to out-smart the magicians. What she and her friends don't realise is the deadly magical potential growing inside of her. Having the magicians catch up to them is in the end what saves her, her friends and the city from harm.

I love Sonea's character, but I like Rothen more. Rothen is the magician who feels a sympathy for Sonea and shows her a better life in the magicians guild. While, the first book sets the scene for the characters, the second book is by far my favourite.

I read this recently, and it's my second time reading the series. I hope to be able to write fiction as well as Trudi one day. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians' Guild.

Started Reading
November 9, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 11, 2010 – Shelved

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sophia I like Rothen too! I'm about to pick up the second book from the library, so I'm glad you liked it best :)