Debbie's Reviews > The Girl Who Wrote in Silk

The Girl Who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes

bookshelves: sourcebooks, net-galley-books, ebooks

Wow, when offered this book, I turned it down. Then I got an ARC in the mail and said okay I would give it a try. Thanks Sourcebooks for being so pushy Ha! Without it, I would have missed a really, really great book. Yet again in a fiction book, I learned that America was deporting, killing, whatever it took, to get the Chinese out of the country. This actually took place from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. I had never known about that. It was mostly happening in the west as that's where the influx of the Chinese immigrants were living.

This was a horrid, yet beautiful story showing present day people discovering what happened to and with their ancestors during this time. Of course, it was a little hokey how the lovers were related of sorts, but it still made for a great story. While I usually have problems with the Chinese names due to my in familiarity with the language, this is did not occur in this book as there weren't that many Chinese characters.

Kelli Estes, you have written an awesome debut novel. Kudo's to you!!! I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes historical fiction or ancestry.

Thanks you Sourcebooks and Net Galley for providing me with this ARC and e-galley in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Wrote in Silk.

June 9, 2015 – Shelved