Hilda's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric    Weiner

Jan 21, 2008

Recommended to Hilda by: Michelle

I really enjoyed "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner. In the book Weiner, an NPR correspondent, travels across the world to understand why people are happy or unhappy. In the process he ponders on his own happiness or lack thereof. You will do the same when you read it.

Far from a dry, scholarly sociology study, the book is totally readable and at times very, very funny. In addition to the "happiness studies" we learn a little history and a lot of culture about the various countries. We also get to know some of the people Weiner meets as he investigates his topic, and in some cases you start to care about them.

The happiest countries may not be the ones you expect and the reasons for their happiness may also come as a surprise.

This is one of those books that I highlighted and wrote on the margins - there's a lot of good information and common-sense wisdom.

I definitely recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.

January 21, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 1, 2008 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Good review! Oh, and thanks Hilda, yet another book I have to read! :-)