Bookworm1858's Reviews > A Tale of Two Castles

HarperCollins, 2011
215 pages
YA/MG; Fantasy; Fairy Tale
3/5 stars

Source: Received a free e-galley via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really like Gail Carson Levine so I was excited to see another book by her. The cover indicated a dragon and hopefully another spunky heroine in the vein of Ella Enchanted. I got that in the dragon Meenore and the would-be actor Elodie.

And I did like those two elements but the book as a whole didn't cohere for me. It felt disjointed and it seemed like a character would be introduced for a few chapters and then leave just as I was starting to get to know him. This happened several times. I also found Levine's made-up words and names more annoying than cool, which might have been different if I'd read this when I was ten.

However I did enjoy the wrapping up of the plot. Elodie unravels a mystery and I really liked how she deducted and induced clues. Happily it didn't take her too long to do this and I was caught completely off-guard by the villain.

Overall: The pieces for a great story are there but it didn't come together as I hoped.

Cover: For those who've read the book, I like that Elodie isn't wearing a cap ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Castles.