Argum's Reviews > The Famine Plot: England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy

The Famine Plot by Tim Pat Coogan

F 50x66

bookshelves: irish

Deeply depressing and detailed. My history courses taught me the famine was an agricultural crisis that precipitated large numbers of Irish immigrants to America which then shaped American culture and politics. Never once did I learn that it was preventable and racist. Coogan defends the thesis that the British committed genocide and I think it is not only convincing but well documented in this book. A strong anti-Irish and anti-Catholic bias motivated decisions by the colonial power that had usurped power in their neighbor and then used and drained resources even during a time of food crisis. This book was so powerful in its choice of quotes from papers, officials, and victims that I had to put it down several times from disgust at what was done to the Irish. More than this the idea that the poor are to blame for their poverty when the system is stacked against them and come what may they deserve it is such a popular sentiment in American politics today made it even harder to read in that we have learned nothing from this massive loss of life. Powerful book that while easy to read academically is difficult to read emotionally.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Famine Plot.

June 8, 2015 – Shelved