Muse-ic ♬'s Reviews > The Ugly Stepsister

The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling

bookshelves: omg-dat-cover, own-on-kindle, fairytale-fairytale-retelling, book-boyfriend, favorites

4.9
That was hands down one of my favorite Cinderella retellings EVER!
Step right over into swoon-ville ladies and gentlemen!

Katherine was cleaning out her attic that is filled with her books, when she drops a copy of Cinderella. It's so old that it falls apart. Katherine trips, blacks out, and wakes up in the story as Lady Katriona Bradshaw, one of Cinderella's stepsister.
She's the "ugly" stepsister, but the term ugly is arbitrary, just because her sister is drop-dead gorgeous (like you also kind of want her to drop dead she's so annoying!).
Turns out that that particular Cinderella book was created by goblins, and if its destruction is attempted (even if by accident, such as in this case), the person is punished by being forced to enter the story and live it out to its happy ending. Only then can they return back to their world.

A beautiful and heart-breaking tale ensues!
Kat learns of the injustices of the Cinderella world and is a driving force in launching change such as child labor regulations...etc.
Turns out Prince Edward himself is also hoping to improve his kingdom, and when this girl of noble standing comes out of nowhere and tries to protect the working class and peasantry, he is quite intrigued!

I've already mentioned how much I love mature, gentlemanly, kind, and sexy male characters, right? Well, Edward falls under every single freaking one of those categories. Hell-o new book boyfriend!

This book struck home with me. Kat's connection with Edward spoke UNSPEAKABLE VOLUMES!
Wanna know why?

Because Kat falls in love with Edward!
And he's a book character, so she can't have him because eventually....she's gonna leave story world!

That is how it is for me and for all of us! You enter an amazing world, you fall in love, but eventually...too soon....it ends....

It freaking hurt to see that experience so obviously portrayed, an everyday bookish struggle put on display in a way that made me really see it on a more in depth level! It hurt.
But it had to end, because eventually, Cinderella had to get her happy ending with Edward, not Kat, and Kat had a home to return to.
The ending was so bittersweet and I want to cry!

(view spoiler)

It was a beautiful and amazing story! I absolutely loved it!
Definitely read this one! I highly recommend it!
Ladies, you need to meet Edward!

Why can't I be swept into a story? Seriously!?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ugly Stepsister.

June 8, 2015 – Shelved
April 22, 2016 – Started Reading
April 24, 2016 – Shelved as: book-boyfriend
April 24, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
April 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Lola (new)

Lola This actually looks pretty good! Thanks for the review :) Fairy tales are my favorites!

Muse-ic ♬ You're very welcome Lola!! I loooooove fairytales too :D

Aj the Ravenous Reader Wow! I'm definitely convinced. This one I'm definitely adding.^^ Great review, S!^^

Muse-ic ♬ Awesome G! hope you enjoy it as much and fall for Edward as hard as I did :D

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Okay you have convinced me. I am adding this to my TBR list and hopefully can pick this up soon.

Rachel Maniacup Oooh! Fairy tales?! I love them! And I loved your mesmerizing review,Sandra! So,I'm absolutely adding this! Thanks for the rec,dear!^^

message 7: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine Great review, Sandra!!!! Cinderella is one of my few favorite fairy tales of all time and I'm interested in this book more after reading your lovely review! ;)) Thanks for the recommendation!

message 8: by Simona (last edited Apr 25, 2016 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Simona Bartolotta Oh God, this sounds so good and captivating! And your review is wonderful, Sandra! I FELT every single emotion you felt while reading, now I want this book in my hands so bad it's almost a physical pain. Thanks for this little jewel <3 I'm gonna buy it right now :)

message 9: by Henz (new)

Henz I am so compelled to read this Sandra. Fantastic review dear .. (^^)

Muse-ic ♬ oh my goodness thank you all :D I really really hope it doesn't disappoint and that you all love it as much as I did ♥

Simona Bartolotta I just started it mentioned you in my pre-review, Sandra! I hope that's okay :)

Muse-ic ♬ of course! hope you love love love it Simona :DD