Melanie's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: read-in-2015, favorites, signed, fantasy, audible, read-in-2020, quarantine-reads
Read 2 times. Last read May 23, 2020 to May 28, 2020.

1.) The Name of the Wind ★★★★★
2.) The Wise Man's Fear ★★★★★
2.4) The Lightning Tree ★★★★★
2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things ★★★★★
3.) Doors of Stone n/a

[2020]
This was everything that I needed this month. There was so much that I had forgotten, and so much foreshadowing that I'm so excited for! This truly just made me feel so whole and reminded me why I'm in love with books and reading and stories that make you feel every emotion known to humans. Such a masterpiece, even after all this time and all these years.

[2015]
I always feel like when I write a review for a five star book I'm not doing the book justice. It's easy for me to write what worked or what didn't work, but it's hard for me to describe magic. The book even touches on this and how it's impossible to describe some things. It would be easier for me just to call this book blue fantastic and move on.

But where is the fun in that? So I'll try and probably do a mediocre attempt of explaining why the biggest regret I've made in my literary life is not reading this book sooner.

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

The Name of the Wind has been on my "to-read" list forever, but what made me push it to the top was that I've been watching Pat stream Fallout 4 for a charity he runs, Worldbuilders (which I cannot stress enough how wonderful this cause is and how you should check it out). I always have some stream running in the background when I'm home and I figured I'd give him a chance, but I didn't expect to completely fall in love with his personality. Seriously, the man has more charisma than any of the Twitch streamers out there. He's very entertaining, passionate (about this charity, books, and his post-apocalyptic city), and a natural born storyteller (much like Kvothe). I liked Mr. Rothfuss so much that I knew I had to read his book immediately and, to know surprise, it completely enthralled me. In fact, it's the best fantasy book I've ever read.

The story starts in The Waystone Inn, in Neware. The owner, Kvothe/Kote, is going to tell his life's story to a scribe named Chronicler after the town has had a couple run-ins with "demons". I know the sound of an innkeeper telling a story of his past in his inn sounds a little cliché, but the story itself is so unique and good you will soon forget this is a tale being told from an inn at all.

Kvothe is a very gifted child and picks up everything he does with ease. His family's troupe (traveling performance artists) is one of the best in the world. Therefore, Kvothe has dipped in many different pools to excel at. His family accepts an arcanist named Abenthy (Ben) into their troupe and Kvothe soon finds a new best friend in him. He teaches Kvothe many different abilities, most including tricks with his mind. He also teaches him more about the world and a place called The University, which could help shape Kvothe's very gifted mind. unfortunately, Ben leaves the troupe to settle down and Kvothe, his wonderful parents, and all the other performers move on with their travels.

Disaster strikes and poor Kvothe soon learns the meaning of really being alone. His talented father is obsessed with writing a song about The Chandrian, who are a group of seven known in myth and folklore as bad or evil. Many people in this world fear different things, but everyone throughout Termerant fears The Chandrian. Soon, Kvothe understands why.

“My parents danced together, her head on his chest. Both had their eyes closed. They seemed so perfectly content. If you can find someone like that, someone who you can hold and close your eyes to the world with, then you're lucky. Even if it only lasts for a minute or a day.”

The rest is Kvothe's journey and what has made him become the man he is today, in The Waystone Inn, telling his story. I really don't want to say much more, I just hope I've swayed you into giving this series a shot if you were like me and haven't done so yet.

The story is fantastic, the writing is amazing, and if you have a heart the main character will capture it. Oh, and the goose bumps I got when reading the epilogue and blissfully being connected to the very beginning for a full circle. I don't really have words, just a whole lot of feelings that I'm not sure what to do with. I cannot wait to start The Wise Man's Fear after reading this first masterpiece.

“Go out in the early days of winter, after the first cold snap of the season. Find a pool of water with a sheet of ice across the top, still fresh and new and clear as glass. Near the shore the ice will hold you. Slide out farther. Farther. Eventually you'll find the place where the surface just barely bears your weight. There you will feel what I felt. The ice splinters under your feet. Look down and you can see the white cracks darting through the ice like mad, elaborate spiderwebs. It is perfectly silent, but you can feel the sudden sharp vibrations through the bottoms of your feet. That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Melanie Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

Patrick Rothfuss
That is what happened when Denna smiled at me.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

June 7, 2015 – Shelved
June 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 14, 2015 – Started Reading
November 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
November 24, 2015 –
76.0% "“I imagine I could do anything,” I said easily. “If you would ask it of me.”"
November 25, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
May 23, 2020 – Started Reading
May 23, 2020 – Shelved as: read-in-2020
May 23, 2020 –
page 1
0.15% "sometimes you just have to finally reread your favorite for the first time in five years for pure serotonin 💗

"
May 26, 2020 –
page 382
57.7% "i'm so very, head over heels, utterly, wholeheartedly, and completely in love with the eolian

"
May 28, 2020 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2020 – Shelved as: quarantine-reads

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! Loved the review doll :D trust me you executed it beautifully cause it wasn't a mediocre attempt it was fabulous :)

Melanie Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! wrote: "Loved the review doll :D trust me you executed it beautifully cause it wasn't a mediocre attempt it was fabulous :)"

Thank you, Sasha. You are seriously the sweetest person on GoodReads. You have no idea how much better your comment made me feel. xo ♥

message 3: by Shh moderator (new)

Shh moderator Excellent review Melanie! = ))

Melanie SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Excellent review Melanie! = ))"

Thank you, Sue! xx ♥

message 5: by Kainat (last edited May 18, 2016 11:28PM) (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 I have this book, i really need to start this soon! I'm glad it was a 5 star read for you.

Melanie Kainat Ijaz wrote: "I have this book, i really need to start this soon! I'm glad it was a 5 star read for you."

Yeah, this book completely blew me and my expectations away! I am completely biased, but you should definitely try it! I would love to read your review for it <3.

Anna God, in retrospect. This review hits me 10x harder now that Ive actually read the book. And boy oh boy are you not exaggerating when you say it is hard to describe this wonderful masterpiece. But i feel as though you've done more justice for this book than i can imagine.

Andrew Wonderful review, Melanie! This is one of my favorite series, a wonderful journey in a world of magic and adventures. I have some difficulties to make match the young student and the mature innkeeper, but I'm never tired of hearing his adventures.
Rothfuss is a master storyteller and after I read this one and the following, I'm looking forward for the third book.

Melanie Andrew wrote: "Wonderful review, Melanie! This is one of my favorite series, a wonderful journey in a world of magic and adventures. I have some difficulties to make match the young student and the mature innkeep..."

Awh, thank you so much, Andrew! I feel bad, because I keep pushing this through my feed, but I don't think many people know that they can preorder the 10 year anniversary edition of this book!

This book just.... I can't even speak about it adequately. I just love it, and the world, so very much. I cannot wait for book three, whenever that will be! 😜💗xo

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Loveley review Melanie! You did it justice. ;) I hope they give us a magnificent edition for this anniversary.

Melanie Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Loveley review Melanie! You did it justice. ;) I hope they give us a magnificent edition for this anniversary."

You are too kind to me, Eon! Thank you so much for your sweet words, always! I am so beyond words excited for this anniversary edition! I'm hoping it is very Brandon Sanderson like! Haha! 💗xo

message 12: by Carol (Bookaria) (new)

Carol (Bookaria) I have to read this one!

message 13: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Kufta I am so surprised at people either giving this book a 5 star review or a 1 star review. Its storytelling at its finest. Maybe you didn't like the story but you cant argue that he is a great author.

message 14: by NC (new) - rated it 4 stars

NC Reads Hi Melanie or anyone on here who can help. I’m trying to find a copy of The Lightning Tree but can’t find one anywhere I have read all the others but need to read this!!! Does anyone know where I can find one? Please help

message 15: by Ɛɾιɳ (last edited May 24, 2020 09:35PM) (new) - added it

Ɛɾιɳ Excellent review, Melanie (that's actually my middle name)! I ~love~ that you picked up this book because you enjoyed watching the author's Twitch stream of Fallout 4 😁😁😁😁 That is so cool!! *binge-watches past streams* I've been hearing about this book and wanting to read it for awhile, too, and I picked up an audio book copy on Audible a few months back, so I was already planning to get around to it in the not-too-distant future, but knowing it was written by someone awesome who streams their gaming on Twitch makes me even more excited, haha. I'm a huge gamer and have been since my first Nintendo console in 1990. Playing video games and reading books are my two favourite hobbies in the whole world 🎮💕📚

Thanks for accepting my friend request, btw. I also sent you one on Steam where I play as fAERiEN 😊 I love meeting other gamer-readers 🙌 Hope you have a great week!

Petrik Regarding your 2020 reread, YAYY!! Glad to hear you're doing okay, Mel!

And I totally agree with you, I reread this two years ago and I was shocked by how much I loved it more! I definitely will reread it again next year! This book is, imo, a true masterpiece! :)

Faridat I want to read the book