Laurence R.'s Reviews > Anthem for Jackson Dawes

Anthem for Jackson Dawes by Celia Bryce

32492014

liked it

Oh, man. I cried!

There's the kind of crying that's simply because you read something sad. However, there's also the kind of crying that you go through when you read something that implies something sad. That one's even worse than the first. Since this book's about cancer, I experienced the second kind maybe even more than the first.

I don't know why, but I needed to read this book after having read the summary. In fact, I put everything else down just so I could read it in one night, two sittings. There was something in this summary that drew me to the story and I want to say that whoever wrote it did an amazing job.

Talking about the story itself, I found myself loving the side characters more than the main one. Not that I hated Megan or something, but I fell in love with Jackson, and the little kids, and Gemma, and Megan's grandfather... For once, I felt like everyone else's personality was so much deeper than the main character's, which wasn't exactly a terrible thing, because it's a short novel and I still cared about the story. I did find that it was a bit predictable, because I expected many events, but I guess it's also targeted for a younger audience - when did I become too old for some books? That can't be happening. Anyway, I thought this story had a great message at the end, maybe not the one I was supposed to remember, but more the one about growing up and keeping friendships alive, which really struck me.

Overall, this isn't a perfect book, although I didn't really mention its flaws. I guess there was just something missing, but I still really enjoyed reading it - and my head hurts from crying earlier. I recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem for Jackson Dawes.

June 7, 2015 – Started Reading
June 7, 2015 – Shelved
June 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 7, 2015 –
page 127
52.92% "I had no idea Megan was this young... Oh, well, it's not like it makes that much of a difference."
June 7, 2015 – Finished Reading