Tara's Reviews > Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference

Doing Good Better by William MacAskill

Doing Good Better provides a well reasoned introduction to effective altruism, the new social movement sweeping to globe. In this book, MacAskill provides a solid grounding in the major tenets of effective altruism and responds to many of the common retorts about charity. Is charity even effective? Should we support those close to us or those far from home? How should we evaluate new causes or charities? The simple manner in which he lays out the arguments makes this book accessible to all, providing compelling examples and stories to illustrate each point.

Having recently read Peter Singer's recent book on effective altruism, "The Most Good You Can Do" http://www.amazon.com/The-Most-Good-Y..., I was surprised at how refreshing and different MacAskill's take on the topic was. The book presents all of the main arguments for effective altruism, without being pushy or invoking feelings of guilt. MacAskill invites readers to think deeply about the best ways to do good in the world and simply presents the evidence needed to draw your own conclusions. Rather than directing readers to a particular cause or charity, the book provides a framework for thinking about how we can do good, it presents the crucial questions of neglectedness, tractability and scale and offers a method for using simple calculations to better reason about the relative efficacy of different charitable interventions.

I would recommend this book for both those new to effective altruist ideas and those who are well seasoned effective altruists already committed to doing good better. Whether you want to do good in a specific area or are open to considering new causes, whether you are looking to do good in your career, with your donations or on the weekend, the framework presented in "Doing Good Better" will help you evaluate how to maximise the positive impact you can have.

Well worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doing Good Better.

June 7, 2015 – Started Reading