Jenna's Reviews > Towers of Midnight

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan

1332085
Nov 09, 2010

bookshelves: books-of-2010, fantasy, favorite-author, my-faves

** spoiler alert ** There was only two things about this book that I wasn't happy with, and that was the very anti-climatic reunion between Morgase and Elayne and the romance between Moirraine and Thom (um, WHAT?! When did THAT happen?).

Other than that, I think that this book is really that which brings the majority of the characters into their potential. All of them seem to have finally come into their own, just as Jordan had been setting them up to do from the very beginning. It's nice to see them finally get there, as we fans have agonized with them every step of the way.

I know that Sanderson is filling some very big shoes, and I am very glad that he stepped up to the plate to take this on (how daunting!) but I really, really wish it were Jordan who was driving this thing home. I think Sanderson is brilliant, and his writing is spot on, but it's hard to "hear" our beloved characters speak with different voices than that which we have become accustomed to. Sanderson has done a remarkable job in capturing the spirit and essence of the characters that many of us have been so familiar with over these past twenty years, but his style is different in subtle ways and it shows in the writing and dialogue.

I loved this book. For so long I have been looking forward to finding out how it all ends, and yet, now that we're on the cusp of that... I almost don't want it to be over!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towers of Midnight.