Rachel Gilbey's Reviews > I Followed the Rules

I Followed the Rules by Joanna Bolouri

I Followed the Rules is hilarious and very good fun, it follows Cat Buchanan a single mother, with 8 year old daughter Grace, as she tries to get a new boyfriend. Cat is also a columnist, which is going downhill a bit, so a colleague suggests she follows the ultimate dating guide "The Rules of Engagement" and write about her experiences with it.

Just one small problem, Cat disagrees with everything that is written in the rules, mainly as it seems outdated, and flies in the face of feminism, and means she will have to be something she isn't. But is willing to go along with it with a hefty dose of scepticism.

This is a book that follows Cat as she is attempting to follow these rules, and the funny tales they provide her. She has here fair share of nightmare dates, but she does manage to get a date using these rules and it goes from there.

However this isn't the only man she meets during this experiment and its soon clear she has stronger feelings for one of the men than the other.

Cat is a fantastic character, she is down to earth, a fabulous mother to Grace, a good sister and best friend, and isn't even too bitter towards her ex. She is the sort of person you would be honoured to have as your best friend. I loved Cat's daughter Grace, she is a such a contrast to Jason, the ragamuffin tomboy child of Cat's best friend Rose. Rose and Cat's friendship is also great to read, they are a couple of lovely ladies.

I Followed the Rules is entertaining, and with what is revealed about the Rules of Engagement, could equally be used as a dating guide itself. However it is far more than just a dating book. I enjoyed every second of I Followed the Rules, and absolutely love Joanna Bolouri's writing style.

Thanks so much to Quercus and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Followed the Rules.

June 5, 2015 – Shelved
June 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
July 4, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Agi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agi Rachel, do you sleep at all? I thought you were watching tennis, not reading... :) xx

Rachel Gilbey Agi wrote: "Rachel, do you sleep at all? I thought you were watching tennis, not reading... :) xx"

Well I was watching Tennis, but that was for about half an hour, I then had to so something with the rest of my evening, so I thought reading this would be an excellent idea!