Zelda's Reviews > Decision Points

Decision Points by George W. Bush

Nov 09, 2010

Read from November 09 to 24, 2010

Update: Loved every minute. Even when I was in fierce disagreement it was fascinating to watch the decisions unfold. And what a gift to read about the important events of my lifetime from such an inside angle.

I really opposed TARP. I didn't understand how someone supposedly committed to free market principles could have pushed so hard for this huge government overreach. To read his explanation made me reconsider my harsh judgment of his decision. Probably because one of the few things I value more than capitalism is the peaceful transition of power that regularly occurs in this country. It never fails to amaze me that no matter how rancorous the fight all parties eventually allow it to end peacefully. This is not historically indicated to be the norm. If TARP was necessary to ensure the continued tradition of peaceful transition of power AND government can unwind itself from the industries around which it has currently wrapped itself, it may have been the right decision.

If you suffer from Bush Derangement Syndrome, don't bother with the book. Most of you seem fairly incapable of reasonable discourse on the topic. If you are a conservative/libertarian with serious issues with the administration take this out for a spin. You won't be wasting your time.

****Fantastic. Presidential autobiography may be my new obsession. Reading about his cabinet selection was like watching a season of "Dallas" - good and good for you. The format is interesting. Each chapter represents one decision or group of related decisions and how he arrived to that decision and the impact of it. It is not chronological which is actually better because it forces you to focus more on dates in order to better track when things are happening. His writing style is plain and direct, as expected, but is not found lacking. I'm still waiting to read how someone who espouses such conservative views enlarged government as much as he did but other than that I'm delighted with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decision Points.

11/13/2010 page 4000
1000.0% "Fantastic. Presidential autobiography may be my new obsession. Reading about his cabinet selection was like watching a season of "Dallas" - good and good for you. The format is great. Each chapter represents one decision or group of related decisions and how he arrived to that decision and the impact of it. Still waiting to read how someone who espouses such conservative views enlarged government as much as he did."
12/14/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I think I should add this to our list of books. Thanks for the review, Z!

message 1: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Ramirez do you justify same government intervention in the economy under Obama?
theres is no free market for banks and big companies. They enjoy subsidies and bailouts.