Lily's Reviews > A Dish Served Cold

A Dish Served Cold by Andrew Ashling

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: ebook, m-m, loved-it, what-i-read-in-2010
Read from November 08 to 10, 2010

This is only the second YA story I've read and I really enjoyed it. Andrew Ashton is growing up in a world similar to ours but with one big difference, slavery is legal. He comes from a wealthy family although both he and his mother differ from the norm and are uncomfortable with the institution of slavery. The story follows him from the age of fourteen to eighteen with an epilogue that recaps the rest of his life. The author takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster ride as Andrew experiences so much during that time including a near rape, loss of innocence both sexual and emotional, painful personal losses as well as new love.

There are themes in this book that may not be for everyone including very graphic details about the slavery system and the violence perpetrated on the enslaved as well as the sexual activity of under-aged boys. I myself had a problem reading the story and almost gave up on it but I'm so glad I kept at it. Even with my reservations I truly enjoyed reading Andrew's story. A Dish Served Cold is a well written story that does more than just entertain, it also makes you think. As the slavery issue was first being described it almost made a certain kind of sick sense. I could imagine just how easy it could be, once the first step is taken, to let it take on a life of it's own. Before long what starts out as a way to help both the economy and people becomes full fledged slavery in a very scary way.

Once I accepted that not everything in this story was going to be easy to read I became immersed in the events told mainly thru Andrew's eyes. The highs and lows, the good and bad, the beautiful moments and the ugly truths he learns all combined to make this an entertaining and thought provoking story. I liked the author's writing style although I did feel at times that Andrew was perhaps too mature for his age. It was a bit hard sometimes to believe he was so young from the way he comes through in the book however that didn't take away too much from my enjoyment. I did waffle a bit on the rating because of my reservations with parts of the story but when I realized I was thinking about the story long after I'd finished it and wishing there had been more to it I felt it deserved a five star rating. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dish Served Cold.

11/11/2010 page 100

message 1: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Ashling Thanks Lily, that was a very generous review, and spot on. It really means a lot to me.

Lily Andrew wrote: "Thanks Lily, that was a very generous review, and spot on. It really means a lot to me."

You're very welcome, Andrew! :)

Lori Lily, I'm really curious as to why you consider this book YA. I haven't read it yet but I got the impression that it dealt with some pretty hardcore issues and contains some graphic sex, like fisting. YA fiction is geared towards 14 - 21 year olds so I generally stay away from them because I like more heat in my books than they tend to have. I was going to add this book to the "Hardcore" list in the M/M Romance group but now I'm not sure it belongs there. What am I missing?

Lily Moderatrix Lori wrote: "Lily, I'm really curious as to why you consider this book YA. I haven't read it yet but I got the impression that it dealt with some pretty hardcore issues and contains some graphic sex, like fist..."

Lori, I listed it as YA because the protag is a teenager when the story starts. In fact most of the book deals with his life between the ages of 14 and 18. I thought that's what YA was, stories with young people as the main characters.

It is very graphic at times as I said in my review but it's an excellent book. And wow, I had no idea there was a Hardcore list. I may have to check it out. I'm not sure what the qualifications are for that so I can't help you with where you want to place it.

For me, it's YA because of Andrew's age no matter what happens in the story.

Lori Aw, well I think that's the confusion then and you're not the only one who does that. When I see books referred to as YA or put on a YA shelf, I assume they are YA fiction. Like Harry Potter, Twilight, etc... This book is definitely not YA in that sense :)

Rossy Fantastic review Lily!

Lily Rossy wrote: "Fantastic review Lily!"

Thanks, Rossy! :)