Valerie's Reviews > The Preacher's Bride

The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, for-book-reviews
Read from November 08 to 26, 2010

The Preacher's Bride, by Jody Hedlund, takes place in England in the 1600's. Puritans Elizabeth Whitebread and Preacher John Costin come together in a working relationship after John's wife dies after giving birth leaving him to raise 4 children on his own.

As a busy minister and tinker, John is soon overwhelmed with commitments and life. Enter Elizabeth, purest of pure Puritans, to work as his housekeeper. Slowly an attraction begins, but persecution does too.

A couple times the events didn't ring realistic and I was disappointed. But at the end of the book all my disappointments were assuaged when I was FASCINATED to learn the book is based on the life of John Bunyan and his wife Elizabeth. This made the book so much richer to me. Of course it's still historical fiction, but knowing there were so many true elements made it all the better.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Preacher's Bride.