Stephanie's Reviews > Aurora

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson

bookshelves: netgalley, kindle, read-2015

An eARC was received from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I have also subsequently purchased a lovely hardback edition.

A brief summary of my reading of this book: I fell in love with an AI.

A less brief summary:

The premise of Aurora is simple enough: a spaceship is launched with a human crew with the intention of colonising a moon of one of the planets of Tau Ceti, the moon becoming known as Aurora.

This book reads very much to me as Robinson writing a love letter to science fiction. To the science fiction which explores how we would actually construct a spaceship that is capable of interstellar flight, how humans themselves would survive the flight, and how they could begin exploration and colonisation of another world.

The bulk of the book is narrated by the ship's AI, framed by two sections at the beginning and end by the point of view of one of the ship's passengers, Freya. I found the switch to the ship's POV frustrating at first, but it soon became fascinating, since as we're also hearing the narrative of what's happening on the ship, we're also seeing this almost nascent being learn how to tell a story.

I loved so much about this - the ship's AI's narrative is fascinating, and I love the ship's design and the way some of the groups of people in the ship adapted to living in the ship. I loved the exploration of Aurora.

I adored this book, until the ending. Without spoiling anything, the last section just didn't quite work for me. It felt almost like a let down, after the frenetic push to survive that flickers through much of the book. I suspect it may be one that I'll think more on when I inevitably come back and reread, however, and possibly change my mind.

Overall, a brilliant read, as to be expected by someone like Robinson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurora.

June 4, 2015 – Shelved