Jane Hunt's Reviews > Blondes, Books, and Bourbon: A White Dragon Black Anthology

Blondes, Books, and Bourbon by R.M. Ridley

Blondes, Books, and Bourbon A White Dragon Black Anthology by R.M. Ridley

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

This anthology is the first book I have read in the White Dragon Black series. I instantly liked the main character Jonathan Alvey and soon became fascinated in his extraordinary life.
An interview with Jonathan sets the scene perfectly for new readers. Linked short stories follow, the first is nostalgic and reminiscent of a private eye detective story but with an interesting paranormal twist. The remaining stories are progressively dark, full of magic and supernatural characters and incidents.
Jonathan Alvey is a complex character, whose cynical sense of humour makes amusing reading and provides necessary light against the background of dark adventures he participates in. Through Jonathan's experience, the reader meets many disturbing creatures in a realistic way. I easily imagined what they would look like and the world created is vivid and believable.
These stories do not glamorise magic and supernatural skills, Alvey suffers greatly for his gift, the fact he perseveres makes him a worthy protagonist.
These stories give the noir detective story an interesting contemporary twist and will interest lovers of mystery and the paranormal.
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

R.M. Ridley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blondes, Books, and Bourbon.

Started Reading