Elizabeth Sulzby's Reviews > The Library of Alexandria: Centre of Learning in the Ancient World

The Library of Alexandria by Roy MacLeod

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction

This is an edited volume by scholars from Australia. I've read a number of the chapters or similar material elsewhere. I plan to read it selectively alongside The Rise and Fall of Alexandria. I am discouraged to find few readers wrote reviews or even made comments. Since I had to get it through inter-library loan, I hope the lack of reviews is due to lack of availability.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Library of Alexandria.

November 8, 2010 – Started Reading
November 8, 2010 – Shelved
November 8, 2010 – Shelved as: nonfiction
November 19, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir Hamza we can not make a review of any book by reading that very book but for a better review we must have invested our time in reading such other books as well . After reading a lot of good books then we will be able to make a good review . Thanks

Elizabeth Sulzby Mir wrote: "we can not make a review of any book by reading that very book but for a better review we must have invested our time in reading such other books as well . After reading a lot of good books then we..."I do not understand your message. Who is "we"? Mine is more of a commentary and not a review of the book and I was saying that I could not find other reviews of the book. Certainly someone can make a review of a book by reading that book but the review could be richer if the reader had read other books on that topic. Is that what you meant?

message 3: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir Hamza Exactly i meant that i want to write the review but having little access to books regarding the Library of Alexandria , i did not put any remarks about your work just generaly speaking i put my points.
regards

Elizabeth Sulzby Mir wrote: "Exactly i meant that i want to write the review but having little access to books regarding the Library of Alexandria , i did not put any remarks about your work just generaly speaking i put my poi..." OK, thanks for clarifying. My remarks were cryptic, too, because they were mostly for my own records. For a number of years I have been trying to find out what books/scrolls were lost when the library and its "annex" were burned. The way people do that is to read references in other records from other sites, references from the philosophers and historians of that time and times close to that time.

Where are you, Mir? I am in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but have traveled to Greece and Turkey visiting ancient sites (Minoan and Venetian Crete; Lycian Turkey) in recent years.

--Elizabeth