BookKids's Reviews > Fever Crumb

Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: science-fiction, teen

Set a few hundred years after the fall of our own civilizations, London is still recovering from the revolution which freed the commoners of the oppressive rule of the Scriveners, a slightly mutated form of human. In this world, Fever Crumb is the first female to ever live in the prestigious Order of Engineers, known for their aesthetic lifestyle and adherence to logic. She has never much left the Order’s home until a former Engineer, Kit, requires her help at an archeological dig. For some reason, he thinks she has Scrivener knowledge in her memories — something that should be impossible.

By far, the best thing about this book is the world building Reeve has done. Don’t get me wrong. The characters are well-developed and the action is well paced, but the world is just fascinating. As the tale progresses, we can see where Reeve sees our own civilization going as well as his vision for the future after that.

And that future is still recognizable. In Reeve’s world, the technology may be disappearing and man may be moving down a different path than the one we’re on now, but the people still remain the same as folks now.

I would recommend this for older readers, ages 10 & up. The world Reeve creates is a harsh world and may be a little to much for younger or super-sensitive readers. However, this is a fascinating piece of science fiction which I would recommend right up there with the great hard science fiction writers of the past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Crumb.