Sam's Reviews > Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

U 50x66

A very detailed training guide to the 5 basic barbell lifts for building strength. This is not a guide to looking pretty or how to build your biceps. This is about a philosophy of becoming strong to maintain a healthy body.

The idea being that skeletal and muscular health are dependent in large part on physical exertion to maintain mass and density. The classic way to build strength is with barbell training. There are these main lifts that use all parts of the body to pull off and if you just repeat these with proper technique you will build and maintain your strength. In this plan boring is good and repetition is better than doing something different every time a la Crossfit.

I have down some of the lifts and have made good progress. One especially noticeable improvement was the squat. After starting For only 2 weeks I noticed I was running faster and stronger. I think I should have been doing weighted squats this whole time after my knee surgery. Stupid me.

Since this is mainly a technical explanation of these lifts you can pair this with whatever workout craze you are currently on, including Crossfit. He does have a lot to say about overall lifting technique and industry and for the most part it comes across as genuine and thoughtful.

I'll have to do it more before I can really let you know what I think but overall a good solid technical book. I won't be following the diet plan of drinking gallons of milk though. Weird.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starting Strength.

June 3, 2015 – Started Reading