Cheeky Cher's Reviews > Adultery

Adultery by Paulo Coelho

did not like it
bookshelves: audiobook

1 star - I really hated it.

Once upon a time, a ludicrous married woman with children feels she is bored by being so happy and her life being so perfect (she actually says this). So, to cure herself of this dreadful happiness she begins to randomly have slutty interactions (the author's words, not mine) with other men. Then one New Year's Eve, this vapid, nonsensical character has a sudden epiphany and moment of transcendence in which she discovers the meaning of life and the answer to all of the other age old "big questions".

The conclusion was trite and written in a corny way, sounding like out of place new age fluff, in stark contrast to the salacious drama that is the rest of the novel. To say there was failure to relate would be a massive understatement.

In case you have a completely different literary taste than myself, allow me to share a few snippets of this author's work that are examples of why it was drudgery for me to read it:

My heart! Before I saw a gigantic universe around me; and now the universe seems like a little dot within my heart that has infinitely expanded, like space. An instrument. A blessing. My mind struggles to maintain control and explain at least something that I’m feeling, but the power is stronger. Power. The feeling of Eternity gives me a mysterious feeling of power. I can do anything, even end world suffering. I am flying and talking with the angels, hearing voices and revelations that will soon be forgotten, but that, at this moment, are as real as the eagle before me.

Love. My eyes well up with tears of joy. No one can force himself to love, nor can he force another person. All you can do is look at Love, fall in love with Love, and imitate it.

We should live each and every day with the certainty that this armor will protect us from danger, and then we will no longer be bound to the duality of existence. We have to find a middle path, where there is neither joy nor suffering, only profound peace.

The author did a very poor job of getting inside of a woman's head as this was an extremely unconvincing novel that failed to provoke emotion or engagement from the reader. This was the second novel I have read by this over-hyped author after reading and also not being impressed by The Alchemist. I will not waste time reading a third.
-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: N/A

First Sentence: Every morning, when I open my eyes to the so-called “new day,” I feel like closing them again, staying in bed, and not getting up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adultery.

June 3, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Valdez Excellent review, Cher. I don't know who told Paulo Coelho he should write from a woman's point of view. Maybe since The Alchemist was selected for Oprah's Book Club, he felt himself qualified.

message 2: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Men cheat because it’s in their genetic code. A woman does it because she doesn’t have enough dignity.

Fuck that shit!

Thanks for taking one for the team, Cher. Blergh.

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Ditto Carmen!

Cheeky Cher Thanks, guys! Carmen, I actually thought about you a lot when I read this and would have loved to hear your thoughts on it.

message 5: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Cher, well, you're in luck, because I actually own a copy in Spanish. *grins widely*

message 6: by Camie (new)

Camie Thanks for saving me from this one !!

Cheeky Cher Carmen wrote: "Cher, well, you're in luck, because I actually own a copy in Spanish. *grins widely*"

Just tell me when the review is up, and I will bring the popcorn!!

message 8: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen LOL It's a date. :)

message 9: by Evie (new) - rated it 1 star

Evie "Men cheat because it’s in their genetic code. A woman does it because she doesn’t have enough dignity." Fuck that shit is right! It's in a woman's genetic code, too. Exception is that one is taught differently than the other. Coelho is nothing but a chauvinistic pig