Kaitlin's Reviews > Glamour in Glass

Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal

19126246

bookshelves: my-sff-faves

This is book 2 in the Glamourist Histories and I have to say this series continues to surprise and enchant me. I don't know if I can pinpoint exactly what it is about these books which I enjoy so much, maybe that it's very readable and yet it feels classic and I've always wished I could get more into classics. I think the combination of classic tone of voice and setting with magic just really works, and Kowal clearly knows what she is doing and does it well!

This story once more follows our main character of Jane from book 1. Once more we have echoes of Regency England and the Jane Eyre book but this time we follow Jane after the events of book 1 are finished up and as she embarks on a new section of her life. She has become part of a new partnership, and she and her partner together undertake wonderful Glamour jobs. She's been employed by the King of England, and the creations that she's now able to weave are stronger and more beautiful than ever.

When her partner decides upon a surprise Trip abroad she happily accompanies them and together the two of them settle into life abroad, until Napoleon and War become the talk of the days and it seems more and more dangerous to be British and in France or Belgium.

Jane as a character is one that I find it easy to enjoy. She's a likeable and intelligent character and she's also highly skilled, but this doesn't mean she's stuck up. She sees the good in everyone and frowns upon some customs of those abroad. Equally her resolve is tested many times over the book both when it comes to her work, her skill, and her beau but she doesn't let this stop her from sticking up for those she loves and believes in and doing whatever necessary to get them through the tricky situations.

I felt like the pacing of this book was good and easy to get through and I have to say it was very nearly a 5* review like the first. The only slight disappointment for me concerning this book was that the ending was rather sudden and although things were resolved I did feel that there could have been a little more said at the ending. I suppose this is only a very minor complaint as actually this is a series and there are other books which will come after this and no doubt explain what happens next. I can't wait to find out!

On the whole, another really fun story with a lot of surprises and drama, classic tones, and visually imaginative and original magic. I look forward to picking up book 3 (which I do own already) and reading that one. A very fun and light series which is great to break up the longer reads 4.5*s, recommended!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamour in Glass.

June 3, 2015 – Shelved
June 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 10, 2015 – Started Reading
June 10, 2015 –
page 16
4.83% ":) Couldn't resist returning to this world!"
June 11, 2015 –
page 146
44.11% "Really enjoying this series. It's just a very easy read :-)"
June 14, 2015 – Shelved as: my-sff-faves