Amy Hawthorne's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: 2015

In the acknowledgements George R.R Martin makes it clear that the detail in this series can hold many demons, and this seems to be the primary downfall of it in some reviews.
I do not think this is the case.
Some claim the world building is shabby for the size and it falls victim to several fantasy tropes (unnamed in that particular review, and I cannot name any for I disagree fully). Game of Thrones is a unique and epic story that uses the multiple narrative so strongly character allegiances are blurred for the reader, as strongly as they are within the tale. The size should not deter any reader, although it did put me off for a while, but my fangirling for the TV show finally persuaded me to pick it up and I'm so glad I did.
I really enjoyed this book but I didn't give it 5/5 stars purely because I found myself wishing for someone elses narrative sometimes. Oddly I found Eddard's chapters the most difficult, although I realise now it was to reflect his coldness and stout honour which is does perfectly. None of these characters are therefore 'boring' stylistically, their personality may be boring but that was intended, which shows Martin's craft of creating a novel this size with some characters you would just like to kill, in a book that you still actually enjoy.
Overall I can't wait to read this entire series. I'm happy to know where to go now when I'm in the mood for fantasy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

June 3, 2015 – Shelved
June 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 11, 2015 –
page 232
27.78% "This may take a while..."
June 12, 2015 – Started Reading