Nikka's Reviews > P.S. I Still Love You

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

did not like it
bookshelves: reviewed, disappointments, contemporary, young-adult

This review will contain spoilers... and profanities.

First of all, giving this book 2 stars is a very generous act on my part.
Okay, one star then.

My initial reaction upon finishing this book was to roll my eyes. To the moon and back.

I am so pissed. This book is just awful.

Behold, the summary in bullet form!
featuring BONUS CONTENT: SLIGHT COMMENTARIES.

PART 1
• Lara Jean Song Covey is a fragile, innocent, princess
• Peter Kavinsky is the complete opposite
• they're dating
• they signed a contract. (be honest all the time; not break each other's hearts, etc)
• they're only 16
• BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
• sorry
• Peter still hangs out with his ex-girlfriend Gen (also Lara Jean's ex-bestie)
• this drives Lara Jean insane
• whenever Lara Jean asks Peter about Gen, he shrugs it off
• Peter gave Lara Jean a poem he claimed he wrote
• it was Edgar Allan Poe's
• poor princess

PART 2
• John, one of the boys Lara Jean has "loved before," wrote her back
• DUN DUN DUN DUN
• the beginning of something terrible (and exciting. yes!)
• Peter never missed a lacrosse game. But for once, he did.
• and it was for Gen
• OOOOOH
• Peter is shit
• full of it
• Lara Jean and Peter broke up
• the reader (me) is ecstatic

PART 3
• Peter thinks he's the king of the world
• he still treats Lara Jean like garbage
• John and Lara Jean started hanging out
• they kiss
• “I think I could be a person who is in love with more than one person at a time.” - Lara Jean
• %!^#?*!%*#?$^*#!?^* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• Lara Jean is also full of shit
• Peter professed his love
• Lara Jean fell for it
• poor Johnny left behind
• Peter and Lara Jean ended up together

Now, do you get my point?! Do you see where I'm coming from?!

I don't know why I did that. I just made myself even more irritated than I already am.

I was annoyed 99% of the time by most of the characters because they were so unrealistic! Everyone's either super nice or super smart or super arrogant or super bitchy. And they're all immature, my goodness! You just couldn't find yourself relating to any of them.

Also, I don't think I will ever understand Jenny Han's thing with love triangles.
1. Best Friends (Lara Jean & Genevieve; Peter & John)
2. Sisters (Margot & Lara Jean)

And could we forget the Summer trilogy (which I hated with all my gut I couldn't even read the next two books)?!

3. Brothers (Jeremy & Conrad)

Am I missing something here?! Because this set up will never work for me and I don't see how it does with everyone else!

Anyway, to all girls and boys, my point is this:
1. Do not let your partner treat you like some garbage.
2. Once you find a gentleman/gentlewoman, never let him/her go.
3. If you do otherwise, don't come crying to your Mama.
4. Never settle for less.
5. Everyone deserves to be someone else's #1.

_________________________________________

P.S. I Still Love You: Alternate Ending
Lara Jean and Peter broke up because it just isn't working anymore. Peter apologizes for whatever he's done to hurt Lara Jean—he didn't mean any of it. Peter thought he has moved on from Gen, but he thought wrong.
Lara Jean is broken, but she's learned so much from this experience and realized she's missing out on other things. She gets on with her life and focused on more important matters like college and being Kitty's big sister.
But someday, she's willing to open up her heart again.
John waits from the distance. Waiting, waiting...

* * *
I hope this book made teenagers realize how little they know of love and not the other way around.

I speak like a Granny. I'm only 18.

Oh my god. Let me live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read P.S. I Still Love You.

June 3, 2015 – Started Reading
June 3, 2015 – Shelved
June 3, 2015 –
13.0% "What the hell am I reading?! *shoots self*"
June 3, 2015 –
54.0% "Mmmm I actually like this Johnny kid. I might be just as terrible as Lara Jean."
67.0% "Oh my god"
June 4, 2015 –
80.0% "Kitty is a lil witch. Witch with a b."
June 4, 2015 –
88.0% "I was totally falling for the story but now it's /blegh/ it's gotten worse. What the hell."
June 4, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: disappointments
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 17, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)

Loren So much drama, yes?

Nikka Loren: The ending just didn't work for me. I'm sooo disappointed.

Loren I'm like THAT'S IT?! The only thing I loved about this book is Kitty and Peter. Lara Jean was sooooo annoying.

Nikka Loren: I had so much hope! This is honestly unbelievable. I'm still angry, hahaha!

Lyle Too right! I prefer your alternate ending so much.

Nikka Lyle: Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this book's ending is garbage.

message 7: by El (new)

El Uh-oh! Now I'm not sure if I'm going to read PSISLY.

Nikka El: It depends if the first book worked for you, because it didn't for me. :)

Nathalia Borghi This is the perfect review. All could manage after reading this was to rant for days!

message 10: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Nathalia: Aw, me too! Eeeeep, maybe this book just wasn't for us!

Loren Omg, Nikka!!! Hahahah. I LOVE this review! The summary is on point! XD

message 12: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Loren: Hahahaha! Thanks, Lo! I try :P

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like the summer trilogy either (although I only read the first book). But I bought TATBILB a few months ago to give Jenny Han another try, and after reading this I really regret that decision. But I love your review! I laughed so much omg

message 14: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Alyssa: That's what happened to me! I decided to give Jenny Han another chance but... meh. You know what happened. I honestly have no idea what the hype is about. I feel like I'm reading a children's book because of both the writing and the characters :( Thank you, love! I appreciate it, hahaha xx

Karina Aguiar This review is amazinnnNnnNnnnnNGGGG

Karina Aguiar This review is amazinnnNnnNnnnnNGGGG

message 17: by Lily (new) - rated it 1 star

Lily Finally I've found someone who shares my thoughts.
I read the entire summer trilogy, till this day I don't know what is so great about those books with that bizarre love triangle. And this ones are the exact same thing but in another level. Yes, the first one is more enjoyable, but this one? I don't even have words for this one.
What is all the hype about Jenny Han? please, somebody explain this to me.

message 18: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Karina: Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I hope I made you laugh :D

message 19: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Lily: I will never understand the hype over Jenny Han's books (and writing). So glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way about her books.

Danielle I just finished this book literally a few minutes ago so naturally I read other peoples reviews and I wish I could have summed up my feelings in a review as perfect as this one! Im so glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy this book, it's nice to know I'm not alone on thinking Peter is total trash.

message 21: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Danielle: Wow, that means a lot to me. Thank you! Maybe we're just old or mature for not liking it as much as everyone does. Or maybe we're just too smart to know when a guy is worth falling for ;)

Danielle No problem! Haha yes I totally agree!

message 23: by Jovy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jovy Lim MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! Same, same!! Couldn't stand the Summer I Turned Pretty Trilogy! HATED KITTY ESPECIALLY IN THIS BOOK, it's like she became 50x more annoying compared to the first!

message 24: by Jovy (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 25: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Jovy: And can we also say she's an unreliable brat?! I don't get why people like her!

message 26: by Nur (new) - added it

Nur Rabbaniah YOU PUT MY THOUGHTS INTO WORDS YES YES YES THERE'S NOTHING YOU SAY THAT I DISAGREE

message 27: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Nur: HAHAHAHA Your reaction! Omg I love it! Thank you so much, it means a lot!

Kimberly Fox Your review is pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking the whole time. And such a perfect alternate ending. I hated the ending. It felt so rushed and unnatural and poor John was introduced, became a 3rd wheel, became a part of a love triangle, & then got booted.

message 29: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Kimberly: I agree with you on that! Would have been nicer if after the break up, Lara Jean moved on by herself and not with the help from John. Meh, the author seemed to think it's okay to play with people's feelings.

message 30: by Estefani (new)

Estefani I don't have the intention to read this duology, but is it actually that ridiculous?

Nathalia Borghi Estefani, I kinda liked the first book (even though it's just a regular light read romance full of cliches), but the second one is repetitive and absurd. The girl lets herself be played and the book passes the message that it's okay if it's "love".

message 32: by Estefani (new)

Estefani So in a few words, it's not worth it haha I feel like there are so many good books to read, that reading this would be such a waste of time, unless you're actually in the mood for it...

Nathalia Borghi In a few words, yes. Hahaha! There are many other light cute reads that don't infuriate you or that don't have girls submitting theirselves to stupid and not loyal guys. (Not loyal? Unloyal? None of the above?)

message 34: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka I'm with Nathalia. The first one was actually enjoyable and tolerable. The second one, however, I could live without. It was as though the author wrote it for the sake of the fans...

Raquel L the are inmature because they are 16, the only character is not actintg like her age es Kitty.

Jennifer AH THIS REVIEW SUMS UP WHAT I'M FEELING! I thought I was the only one after I read so many reviews all for Peter...

message 37: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Raquel: Pretty sure I wasn't this immature when I was 16, but okay, I know what you mean. I still don't get the hype over this book

message 38: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Jennifer: Haha don't worry, you're not alone! You can find people who share the same thoughts, and they also commented on this review haha. Xx

Jennifer I'm 16 going on 17 so I can say that most 16 year-olds don't talk like Lara Jean, haha.

Melissa Hallelujah! Someone, finally, with the same opinion of me! I loved Peter in the first book, but Johnny..omg Johnny is the best ever!

message 41: by Ilka (new) - rated it 1 star

Ilka all my strength to finish this book is gone

message 42: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Ilka: Oh nooo I hope I didn't ruin what could have been the best reading experience ever.

Sarcasm.

Just DNF it. If I could turn back time just so I could undo me reading this book at all, I would. Good luck!

message 43: by Elisa (new)

Elisa I was about to click 'Want to read' and give ya/chicklit a go but then I read your summary which is very honest and a bit hilarious :D but now I know it's not a book for me. I would be as much irritated as you were/are and I hate regretting reading a book. Worst feeling ever. So thank you for your review!

message 44: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Elisa: I kinda feel bad for spoiling you, you might have wanted to form your own thoughts on this book haha but you're welcome!

message 45: by Elisa (new)

Elisa I don't think you spoiled it for me. I hate that kind of romances where the girl is very desperate and where she can't see she deserves better, it really frustrates me :p

message 46: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka Okay then I'm really glad I saved you from wasting your time haha <3

message 47: by Pyra (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pyra Gigje Thank you Nikka for this review!! As I was reading this book I cant help but be worried because only few pages left but I still got nothing. Then I reached the end and I was like, Jenny Han just wasted my money and time!!!!!!

message 48: by Nikka (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikka I laugh at the number of people who liked and related to this review, you guys are the best hahahahaha

Ketelen Lefkovich I AM SO GLAD YOU WROTE THIS REVIEW! Honestly i was starting to get worried with all the 5 stars and "i love this book" "amazing" reviews that showed up, but thank gosh i found yours. I mean this book is didnt work! I did enjoy the first one a lot, but this? Seriously? Hell to the no.

Miranda Anderson everything about your review is so much yes!!!!! ugh it was the worst rollercoaster for me and your commentaries are on point. your ending is way better!

« previous 1