Ben's Reviews > Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur

Escape from Cubicle Nation by Pamela Slim

Nov 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: business
Read from November 07 to 18, 2010

Similar in vein to The 4-Hour Workweek in that it describes the process to take to become an entrepreneur. I think Pamela Slim did a better job of extracting what that process is whereas The 4-Hour Workweek told a specific account based on Tim Ferris' own experience of how to start and run a business.
Both of these books seem to focus on internet based businesses, or at least starting on the internet. While I agree that there is more money to be had there, I feel like books that describe this process are lacking. For example, if one wanted to start a chip manufacturer, would you start by building a website and clients? What about a defense contractor? What about a company that helps rural poor in the 3rd world?
I thought the exercises contained in this book were/are extremely helpful. There are a lot of people in my life that don't know what they want out of it yet who could learn more about themselves by doing these exercises.
Slim's formula for starting a business is simple: 1. Find you. 2. Find your business idea(s). 2.5. Find your network of mentors, etc. 3. Test the ideas. 4. Plan like mad. 5. Make sure you've accounted for all of the loose ends. 6. Make the decision to quit your job or not.
She doesn't recommend quitting your job, especially if you don't know what you want to do next. I appreciate this book more as a reference than as a narrative (which is not how it was written) and will return to it again in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from Cubicle Nation.

11/09/2010