Miko Lee's Reviews > No Place Like Home: A Memoir in 39 Apartments

No Place Like Home by Brooke Berman

Nov 07, 2010

it was ok
Read in November, 2010

Interesting memoir by playwright Brooke Berman as she moves from apartment to housesit to studio in her development as a writer. Her journey toward home is impeded by her need to conquer her issues with her gravely I'll mother in far away Detroit. Along the way she is raped and has a long term (14 year) tumultuous relationship with a guy who takes her for granted. Her plays gain a bit of success but she seems racked with insecurities that are so deep she takes to constantly quoting her therapist. She makes note of her cancer ridden friend who comments on her narcissism but actually it doesn't feel like she gets it. Clearly she has had hardships but much of the book felt like whining. Why did I finish this book I wonder. Then I know that there were moments of the story that were described with a trained playwrights precision. Moments when the walk on Mott street felt so real that it brought me back to my time in NYC. I just wish the whole book overflowed with those few moments of wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place Like Home.