C.G. Drews's Reviews > Nevernight

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Jun 02, 2015

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, aussie-authors, adult, read-2016, 5-star, read-2017, reread
Read 2 times. Last read August 14, 2017 to October 4, 2017.

REREAD: October, 2017

This news just in: this book is fucking fantastic.

I wanted to reread this in preparation for Godsgrave because I remember nothing, mate. Please, I barely remember a book 2 days after finishing ok. I also decided to try the audio and besssst decision of LIFE. The audiobook is absolutely brilliant! Accents and emotions and everything. 10/10 for this audio. ACTUALLY 10/10 FOR THE WHOLE GODDAMN BOOK. THIS IS SO FREAKING BLOODY. It gets the full five stars and all my previous murmurs of disapprovals are gone.

I am just here for it, ok. It is so so bloody and clever and Mia has got to be one of the best female anti-heroes of all. And Mister Kindly is everything. And whoever the narrator is with his footnotes is so absolutely salty the whole time. I LOVE IT.

Anyway. I was adorable last year with my cute mixed feelings. Now I just love it. Now I shall go arm myself with a butter knife (I fierce ok) and wait at my mailbox for Godsgrave to arrive.

(Also can I just say that more fantasy needs to be written by sassy sarcastic narrators? Because need.)

****

1st READ REVIEW: November, 2016

Oh this shall be a very very hard review to write. Why? I AM ALL A MIX OF GOOD AND BAD FEELINGS. I was waiting for it to explode my mind and it just...didn't?? But at the same time it was endlessly addicting and I found myself arguing with the clock on whether I should sleep or read. (Loooool to the clock. OF COURSE I READ.) But I can't ignore my quibbles. So. Excuse me while I have a life crisis.

So basically it's an ASSASSIN ORIGIN STORY. Which is, actually, my favourite. Which means (A) it's brutal, (B) it's bloody, and (C) it's stabby. All excellent things. Lovely. But I came a bit stuck here anyway...for the simple reason I just read The Emperor's Blades WHICH WAS SO FREAKING FANTASTIC I NEARLY DIED OF FEELS and I couldn't help comparing them. The Emperor's Blades also had an assassin/training storyline and it was just WAY MORE TOUGH AND BRUTAL than anything Nevernight was dishing up. Hence I felt Nevernight was a bit weak there in the assassin training stuff. Yeeeeeah. I know. I'm the worst.

So YES it was bloody and stabby. But it felt like it was holding back...which doesn't makes sense because it's adult and not YA.

(Also a note on the "adult fantasy" bit...YES IT IS ADULT NOT YA. Just for the detailed sex scenes I think, and the violence.)

I did really really love Mia though!! She had the potential to be one of those "emotionless assassins who stands on their own and knows no soul" but gahhh NO MIA WAS TOTALLY AWESOME. She was a complete tangle of sheer brutality and stabtastic stabbiness (shh that's so a term) but at the same time she actually cared about things. She SHOWED SHE CARED. And she managed to do so while also threatening to stab people so. #win And she also can manipulate shadows. She's called a "darkin" and do we get to know the extent or reason for her powers? HAHAHHAHAHAH NO LITTLE LAMB. We get to frown and ask questions. Where is mine sequel. Bring it thusly here.

I also loved the footnotes. Okay they were tedious at times. Sometimes I was torn between "is this world building freaking fantastic with so much detail??" and "is this as tedious as eating a banana smoothie with a whisk??" AND HONESTLY I'M STILL TORN. But half the time the footnotes were had this sarcastic commentary going on and sarcasm is what I live for. (I mean, I also live for cake. But. Let's not get off track here.)

And the romance?! Okay it was definitely a good romance, because it was slow burn and started off as friendship AND I PRETTY MUCH PANICKED OVER IT THE FULL TIME. Two assassins competing for a few positions in the top of the assassin school?? But also falling in love??? I MEAN, I LOVE PANICKING. THAT'S COOL. I loved Tric! He was adorable and kind of squishy and so so sweet and managed to be freaking badass and frightening at the same time. All the love for Tric.

AND THERE IS A TALKING CAT. Well, a talking not-cat because it's made out of shadows, but it is literally my favourite thing. All the stars for just the cat.

OKAY BUT NOW WE GOTTA TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS... And I shall have a handy dandy list because I'm kind like that. (Yes yes you're welcome.)

It was very predictable. Have I read too many books? Or just too many assassin stories?? WHO KNOWS. But I called a ton of the plot twists ahead of time. (Not the BIGGEST one at the end though.) And I saw all the foreshadowing and just...eh. I was never socked in the face with shock.
Also the deaths were totally predictable. This means my feels WERE NOT CRUMPLED because I was prepared the whole time???? (view spoiler)
Mia makes a COMPLETELY BIZARRE DECISION at the end that I still don't understand. It was so out of character for her, I'm lowkey angry??? (view spoiler)
The plot literally DIED in favour of sexy times. Like, sure, haha, we didn't neeeeed to have a plot line continuing around when we could just have super detailedly graphic sex scenes. OF COURSE NOT. (Also is currently breaking plates in the background.) Look I'm not fond of reading sex scenes anyway, but that wasn't the problem for me: the problem was there was literally no plot happening about 2/3rds through the book because all we had was Mia thinking about seeeeeex all the time. I WAS BORED AND DISAPPOINTED.
It made everyone "beautiful". I just hate this trope. I still see it a lot and I think it's dangerous and poisonous. Like who defines beautiful??? GIVE ME A BREAK. Mia had to get a magical facelift and a boob job and I just...I'm so annoyed.

But like I said: I COULDN'T ACTUALLY PUT IT DOWN. The writing was really good and captivating, even if the plot was sometimes running off to nap in a daisy field of nothingness. Mia was epic. Tric was epic. There was so much SASS. And so much stab. AND OMG DID I MENTION THERE ARE THREE BEAUTIFUL MAPS??????? That just wins my heart and soul to be honest.

I'M VERY GLAD I READ IT. I am definitely keen for the sequel too! I have a lot of quibbles and there were several times when I felt very MAD at the book. But excellent writing and characters and EXCELLENT SASS and excellent amounts of the #stabstabstab outweighs the negatives for me so I shall be over here, wishing I had a talking cat, and also petting the beauty that is the hardcover copy omg.

*** QUOTES ***

"If I were going to name my blade," Mia said thoughtfully, "I'd call it 'Fluffy'."
Tric snorted with laughter. "Fluffy?"
"'Byss, yes," the girl nodded. "Think of the terror you'd instil. Being bested by a foe wielding a sword called Souldrinker...that you could live with. Imagine the shame of having the piss smacked out of you by a blade called Fluffy."

"I've got tea," Mercurio sighed. "And cake."
The girl covered her growling belly with both palms.
"...What kind of cake?"
"The free kind."
Mia pouted. Licked her lips and tasted blood.
"My favourite."

Mia stepped inside, and for the third time that turn, felt her lungs bid her breath farewell. She stood on a mezzanine overlooking a dark wood -- a forest of ornate shelves, laid out like a garden maze. And on each shelf stood books. Piles of books. Mountains of books. Oceans and oceans of books. Books of stained vellum and fresh parchment. Books bound in leather and wood and leaves, locked books and dusty books, books as thick as her waist and as tiny as her fist. Mia's eyes were alight, fingernails denting the wooden railing.
"Naev, don't let me down there," she breathed.
"Why not?"
"You'll never see me again..."

"There's not enough places among the Blades for all of us, Mia. Technically we're in competition with each other. Why would I help you?"
"Because I said please?"
"...You didn't say please."
Mia waved her hand. "A mere technicality."

"Practising?" she sneered. "You'd be better off praying."
"Apologies," Mia frowned, searching the floor as if looking for something. "I appear to have misplaced the fucks I give for what you think..."

Mia dragged deep on her cigarillo. "You don't think this is the kind of thing the Ministry should mention on your first turn? 'O, by the by, Acolytes, there's these colossal fucking wormthings that live in the library, so for Maw's sake, get your books back on time'?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevernight.

June 2, 2015 – Shelved
June 2, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2016 – Started Reading
page 77
17.19% "LOOK I'M FINALLY BEING BRAVE AND READING IT AREN'T YOU PROUD."
page 120
26.79% ""I've got tea," Mercurio sighed. "And cake."\n"...What kind of cake?"\n"The free kind."\nMia pouted. Licked her lips and tasted blood. "My favourite."\n\nWELL IT'S ALREADY MENTIONED CAKE SO MY FAVOUR IS WON."
page 177
39.51% "Okay I'm pretty frustrated with the whole "and now we magically make her beautiful" trope here. Because it ALWAYS relies on modern society's warped view of beauty and I mean...JUST STAHP. THIS IS SO WARPED."
November 28, 2016 –
page 271
60.49% "I really really like Tric so I'm entirely sure something TERRIBLE IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO HIM."
November 28, 2016 –
page 326
72.77% "A moment of silence for the plot WHICH HAS LITERALLY DIED TO NOTHING while they have sex instead."
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
November 29, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
November 29, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 –
page 42
9.38% "I'm rereading this because LOL @ ME if I expect myself to remember a book's plot enough to be able to read a sequel a year later ha ha ha....

*cries*"
August 27, 2017 –
page 42
9.38% "Me: *accidentally hits play on audiobook without headphones in*
Nevernight Audio: "....DEFLOWERING VIRGINS AND..."
Family:
Me: right so I'm going to leave now"
September 23, 2017 –
page 166
37.05% "Mia: My brave centurion. Riding in on his charger to save his poor damsel? Hold me, brave sir, I shall swoon!
Tric: [500% done with her]

↑↑↑ this is this am i right or am i right ↓↓↓

description"
September 29, 2017 –
page 287
64.06% ""The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us."

ONE OF MY FAVOURITE QUOTES EVER and also reminder that books are sentient and my tbr pile is probably plotting my death."
September 29, 2017 –
page 300
66.96% "This news just in: the Nevernight audiobook is....not great....to read while eating lunch."
October 3, 2017 –
page 353
78.79% "I'm trying to figure out everyone's Hogwarts houses (BECAUSE THAT'S IMPORTANT OBVIOUSLY) and am just thinking:

- Mia = SlytherPuff (she keeps being kind but she's so sneaky)
- Tric = Gryffindor?? not sure but he won't let someone get hurt for him and his honour is the reason he wants revenge?
- literally everyone else = SLYTHER SNEAKS

#slytherin #represent"
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 4, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: reread

Natalie Monroe I'm glad you liked it! (view spoiler)

Uma  ♥ Books.Bags.Burgers. Yay you liked it :) :)

C.G. Drews @Natalie: (view spoiler)

@Uma: YES! I had some quibbles, but overall I liked it!! :D

Tamsien West (Babbling Books) Oh yEAH! So glad you liked it, and I definitely get all of your quibbles. I loved the footnotes for their sarcasm too, and I can see how if you have just read something else about stabby assassins this might be holding back a bit, I had just been reading more YA than usual so Nevernight was a breath of fresh bloody-filled air! Can't wait for the sequel because I am hoping for a lot more sassy talking not-cat!

C.G. Drews @Tamsien: YES THE CAT WAS EVERYTHING OMG. <3 All the Mia/Cat banter was the best thing of ever.

message 6: by Mee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mee I have to read The Emperor's Blades now as love this book so much. Though some of the thing you didn't like made me love this book (view spoiler)

The not-cat was so awesome! i cant wait to read more about him (view spoiler)

Uma  ♥ Books.Bags.Burgers. I loved all the sarcasm and sass in the footnotes!! And the not-cat has so much sass too!!! (view spoiler) But omigosh Cait, I'm glad you like it <3

C.G. Drews @Mee: (view spoiler)

Nicole Hewitt I was really torn on this one too. I wanted to love it, but I was actually the opposite of you---I kept putting the book down and I wasn't that motivated to pick it back up every time. :-(

message 10: by ★ Codie (new) - added it

★ Codie Abibliophobic ★ I'm currently reading this one, and this: It made everyone "beautiful" is where I'm currently at. I was so put-off by this I was contemplating not finishing it. Love this review, though, and it's making me want to pick it back up...buuut the sex thoughts are gonna be annoying for me haha.

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Nicole: Aww, that's a shame. But I understand!! The writing was pretty thick/detailed at times. I'm on a huge fantasy kick atm though, so I'm sure that helped. I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.

@Codie: Yeah I was super disappointed when I got to that part too. *sighs* I sooo wish that trope WOULD GO TO DIE. ;_;

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie I love how you reviewed this! all the positives and negatives!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Katie: Thanks!! :D

Natassjha I was on the fence about reading it and this review convinced me (the quotes omg). LOVED IT
(view spoiler)

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Natassjha: I'm glad you liked it too!! (view spoiler)

Natassjha Yes, thank you for this stabby blessing! (view spoiler)

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Natassjha: (view spoiler)

message 18: by Natassjha (last edited Feb 23, 2017 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natassjha (view spoiler)

message 19: by Robbie (new) - added it

Robbie Magic n dragons

message 20: by WaffleKat (new) - added it

WaffleKat "Practising?" she sneered. "You'd be better off praying."

I have to use this remark against people when they say something smart about what they think of me >:]

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Seriously? Super-cool female assassins who totally kick butt NEVER get boob jobs.

N. E. V. E. R.

Marie -The Reading Otter "Me: *accidentally hits play on audiobook without headphones in*
Nevernight Audio: "....DEFLOWERING VIRGINS AND..."
Family:
Me: right so I'm going to leave now"

I laughed for a solid 5 minutes at that.

sofia (sam willows) glad you loved it! this book truly is incredible! I have already read godsgrave twice, and i’m considering a third!

Giulia I'm reading this right now, but I have discovered that my English isn't good enough. The right decision should be put it aside and return to it when I'm better, but I'm not good at right decision. I'll just keep going trying to understand what the heck is happening 😅

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sam: AHHHH I'm excited that you loved Godsgrave that much! I actually ordered it ages ago and the store told me it was fully sold out by publishers and I had to wait for another printing. :O :O

@Giulia: Oh I hope they translate it into your language then!

message 26: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I'm definitely going to get this on audio. U make me excited about it!

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Tandie: EXCELLENT LIFE CHOICE.

Stephanie YES I NEED TO REREAD RN TOO FOR GODSGRAVE