Joe AuBuchon's Reviews > Dragon in Exile

Dragon in Exile by Sharon Lee

bookshelves: science-fiction

Dragon in Exile is a switching yard for storylines. It takes a rather large number of stories and brings them up to date and then puts them on to other tracks combined with other characters headed in a new direction.
If you're new to the Liaden Universe, this is not the book for you. You may find it an interesting read in and of itself, but you will have missed so much--Advice?--go to korval.com and read the information on reading order and then get the other books as stand alone novels or in the onmibus editions. Of course, if you don't want to follow my advice, go ahead and read this book--you'll find yourself getting the other books anyway and then you'll re-read Dragon in Exile anyway.
Val Con and Miri are in the story throughout and, although there is little character development dealing with them, are clearly acting as the chief executives of a large multifaceted interstellar organization and delegate many tasks to others while still seeing action.
Pat Rin and Natesa (and the Juntavas) put in their appearances but are largely in the background. Theo is hardly here at all. The same is true for Shan and Priscilla.
Rys and the Bedel figure prominently and should have large parts in the succeeding stories. Syl Vor is discovered of a talent. Hazenthul Explorer's character is slightly deepened and goes off on a storyline of her own accompanying Jeeves' daughter, Tocohl, on a task dealing with Admiral Bunter. Ren Zel seems to "gain" a new power which hints at a future pivot point. Yulie Shaper appears several times and so too do the people who want to turn back the clock on Surebleak.
We get some new pairings: Quin and Villy, Audrey and Luken (guessed right on that one) and Kareen and Kamele. Kareen and Kamele? Yes, two formalists in a pairing which is not as odd as it first seemed to me. Kamele and self-defense also work.
The Uncle's decision to use two birthing units has proven to be if not a stroke of genius, at least, necessary. I'm quite anxious to find out what happens when they get back to Jelaza Kazone and find Kamele "waiting" for them. (Maybe, they'll hitch a ride back with Theo and Bechimo?)
--Interlude--Mist, two-year-old Siamese female, was sleeping on my legs (I'm in my recliner with my laptop.) and just woke up suddenly from a rather active dream. I now have several scratches and a bit of blood on my shins and calves. She has moved to resume her sleep with her brother, Smoke, on the couch.--End Interlude--
Constellation 3 has stories dealing with this time in the Liaden Universe--get it in August.
At any rate, Dragon in Exile was a good, fun read and over too quickly.
PS--Once you read the book, if you haven't yet read "Chimera," read it. It's a short story dealing with events in the last couple of chapters of Dragon and, as of two minutes ago, it's still posted on baen.com.
PPS--Also read "Eleutherios" in the Baen "Free Library" for more information on the Bedel.
PPPS--Oh, yeah, there are more than enough storylines for the, I think it is, six remaining contracted books Sharon and Steve have.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon in Exile.

June 2, 2015 – Started Reading