Stefanie's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Nov 07, 2010

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, contemporary-ya, books-that-moved-me
Read from December 20 to 29, 2010

BEST.BOOK.EVER.

I think I've found my new favorite author.

*Author crush commence*

********************************************

So, I've put off writing this for so long because I just feel like anything I try to say about JELLICOE ROAD cannot measure up to how truly great this book was. I already know I'm not going to do it justice...so bare with me, as I try not to butcher it.

Jellicoe Road is the past and present coming together to create one manginificently beautiful tale, full of grief and heartache and hope.

I'm not gonna lie, this book is a hard hard read. If it's not the interlacing of two different stories, then it's the tragedies that these characters, from two different times, face. Trust me, the writing is pretty much impeccable. The bits of story we get about the past are confusing because Marchetta wants them to be...it's all part of the suspense of the book and ultimately adds to the climax of it. I think the confusion is really just mystery and gives us suspense.

I would compare this book to a psychological thriller film. It's one of those where you're like, "Am I supposed to know what's going on? Because I'm completely lost. Or stupid." But then at the END it all comes together and makes perfect sense and you can't believe you were oblivious to the brilliance occuring right in fron of you because the whole thing has been amazing!!!!!

After I read this, I layed in bed like a comatose patient, unable to move due to an incredible overdose of grief and sadness. It's not that the book has a sad ending, it's just that when I reflected on EVERYTHING these characters had to go through I felt miserable for them. Another confession....I sobbed. Horribly. At least 3 times in this book.

It was really an emotional journey that I went on with this book, as cheesy as that may sound to anyone....it's true. A raw, emotional, exhausting journey.

This was a hard read because of the content, but worth it and an extremely compelling journey. Seriously, my new favorite book.

So do myself, and yourself, and Melinca Marchetta a favor and go out right this minute and buy this book. Lock yourself away and fall into the world of the characters who live on Jellicoe Road.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

12/20/2010 page 85
20.0% "Really interesting...but confusing." 2 comments
12/26/2010 page 330
76.0% "Grief overload....geez."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic YAY!!!!! I agree BEST BOOK EVER! Welcome to the Marchetta fan club :)

Arlene *whispers* I still need to read this one, but I'm saving it for my 2011 Aussie Challenge. I can't wait. :) Glad you loved it BTW.

message 16: by Nic (last edited Dec 29, 2010 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic *whispers* Don't worry Arlene I still need to read Finnikin on The Rock but I am saving that one :)

Morgan F You guys haven't read this one either?!?

See. Now you guys can't rag on me for not having read Anna or The Iron King.

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Oops I typed the wrong title! I changed it to Finnikin :)

Morgan F I still have to read Finnikin too. I'm ordering it soon.

Arlene Read Anna Morgan!! Read it now!! :) I'm going to read Jelicoe in January, it'll be my first pick for the Aussie Challenge. :)

Morgan F I've ordered it. Its on its waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy.

Arlene LOL! Enjoy Morgan. :)

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Fin is on my Kindle, I'm hoping to get a chance to read it soon.

Stefanie I'm onto Saving Francesca now, but I don't know what to read after it. I'm thinking The Piper's Son.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim You actually have to think about that? My mind is blown! Of course you are reading TPS after Francesca. OMG! *flails*

;)

Arlene Great review Stefanie! I need to read this soon but I have 3 books i must get to first. Can someone clue me in on what's so confusingly brilliant about this book? I've heard several times it's confusing at first????

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It's very confusing Arlene, but I can't really explain it to you.

*looks around and waits for the rest of the gang to join in* ^^

Alexa Clue: There's two stories. ;)

Can't wait for you to read this one, Arlene!

Arlene Okay well i'll prepare myself for confusion. I'll read it this month for sure.

Morgan F Melina doesn't waste time walking her reader through things. She just kinda trows you out there.

Stefanie Yeah, like sink or swim time, and just when you think you're about to drown she throws you a life raft and wraps you in blanket, then hands you a cup of hot chocolate.

It's confusing, and honestly when I heard this I was like "well I doubt I'LL be confused" (because I'm so awesome) but it really does throw you for a loop. However it's not an overwhelming confusion. It's enjoyable. You'll love it Arelene :)