Wayne McCoy's Reviews > Art and Science

Art and Science by Eliane Strosberg

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

'Art and Science' by Eliane Strosberg is an overview of the influence that art and science have had on each other. It's filled with lots of examples, but when it's all said and done, it's a pretty basic overview.

With chapter titles like 'Science in Architecture' and 'The art and science dialogue,' each chapter runs a path from the past to the present. From complex Persian calligraphy to the modern microchip, form and function follow. Artists and scientists dabble in each other's worlds, and, of course, we've heard of artist/scientists like Leonardo DaVinci. There are links between patterns in decoration and calculus. Perspective and geometry in art abound. Potters use minerals to get chemical reactions for colors in their glazing.

It's interesting, but I think it's almost too broad of a subject for one single book. There are lots of pictures of mainly art, but when the art was next to a similar picture from science (like the Persian calligraphy and the microchip, for example), I felt like the book really shined. I wish there had been a more deliberate approach in this regard. It's a decent overview to the subject, but it failed to hold my interest over the course of the book.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Abbeville Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Art and Science.

June 2, 2015 – Shelved