Giovanni Gelati's Reviews > Don't Blink

Don't Blink by James Patterson

Nov 07, 2010

I like to be entertained when I read a novel. People read for many reasons; that is mine. Why do I start off like that? Well it seems just because Patterson sells so many novels he gets some backlash, being numero uno sometimes comes with a cost. In this case some of it heavy criticism. Is Don’t Blink a work of art? Is it going to be mentioned with Hemingway and Steinbeck? Please, let’s just move on. All I know is the guy puts out some good stuff on a regular basis and entertains me, so I am going to keep reading his work each and every time.
Don’t Blink was a novel that I had a hard time putting down even though I had to a few times. The characters and the backdrop really pulled me into this story. I enjoyed the subplots and the mystery of who is the bad guy and why. Lombardo’s Steakhouse, Nick Daniels, the mob, and the rest of the characters that were thrown at me at fast and furious pace made me smile and chuckle continually throughout the novel.
James Patterson hopefully will continue with this band of characters and make them a continuing series. Wait, didn’t I say that before with the last novel and the one before that? I am pretty sure I did. Having said all that, I look forward to his next flurry of novels, and being entertained by the bestselling novelist of his time.
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari & Linkedin. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. You can also follow us on Twitter, and the Gelati’s Scoop Facebook Fan Page. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Gelati’s Store Tab on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Blink.

November 7, 2010 – Started Reading
November 7, 2010 – Shelved
November 7, 2010 –
page 49
November 9, 2010 –
page 127
November 9, 2010 –
page 384
99.22% "Look for our post on Tuesday."
November 9, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey I have no qualms with reading Paterson. My wife reads every book he writes (which is the real question here). Did he write any of this book. What percentage of these collaborations does Paterson actually write (or type). Does he write an outline that is then fleshed out by his collaborator?

Giovanni Gelati I like the question.I have the same ones.I have spoken to some of the writers that work with him, but I haven't ask that question in specific.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I agree with you, I like a novel that entertains too. I find the star system too simplistic sometimes, because there are different reasons I think a book may earn stars. And I do strongly agree with you that gripping on and holding your readers should count for something that makes a book "good" too, not just literary worth.

Giovanni Gelati Thanks so much for that.I really appreciate the comment and input.You made my day.

message 5: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey My wife is reading this book and tells me that its really good too.

Giovanni Gelati Thanks.I hope that she really has a good time with it.

Bruce Lasher I found this novel very entertaining, although it seemed rather predictable. In the beginning when Bruno was framed, I knew that it could not have been him, because there were too many pages left. But I found that the way Patterson extended the plot was interesting, such as the scene when Nick is kidnapped. I found the situation rather cliche, but the way the bit was written was exhilarating.

Overall, with this being the first Patterson book I have read, this left the impression that Patterson will take a hackneyed topic and put a "new spin" (so to say) on it and make it fun to read.