Nic's Reviews > Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

U 50x66
Nov 07, 2010

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in November, 2010 , read count: 1

This was assigned as a textbook for Web Development I, and it basically taught the class by itself.

A hefty tome, this book intimidated me up until I opened it and found the illustrated explanation of its mission, to help readers trick their brains into thinking CSS is "as important as a tiger." It does a great job, too - with conversational language, straightforward explanations, and lots and lots of pictures, examples, and exercises, this book taught me oodles of new things about HTML and CSS. I'd recommend it to anyone who's just starting or, like me, comes to the field with some extremely rudimentary HTML skills.

Also, did I mention it's hilarious? Just plain fun to read.

It looks like the series does similar books not only for other web concepts (I'm browsing the JavaScript one now), but for math. I bet they'd be great for struggling students!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML.

04/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Just checked to see if they offer a PHP book - yes they do! One of these days I will actually sit down and give myself a crash course in PHP, MySQL, & Javascript, and this series might be a little more Becky-friendly than a traditional programming book. Plus they're by O'Reilly, snazzy.

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I found that my school's library has a bunch of these for online access, so you can log in with your student account and just read 'em on your computer. This might be worth checking on for you, too, while you're still a student.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky We only have a few Head Start e-books, and they're all kind of random, but we do have the O'Reilly Learning PHP & MySQL! I honestly never go to the physical library anymore, so that's good to know.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky *By that I mean, I never go to my university library - obviously I spend a lot of time in other libraries!