Nancy's Reviews > Run to Overcome: The Inspiring Story of an American Champion's Long-Distance Quest to Achieve a Big Dream

Run to Overcome by Meb Keflezighi

Nov 07, 2010

From very humble beginnings, Meb relies heavily upon his Christian faith and belief in the American Dream. Coming from a war-torn country where food is scarce and luxury includes owning your own skinny cow, Meb recognized the positives in life early on. His father, willing to sacrifice his own safety and well-being, traversed the continent to reach Sudan then emigrated to Italy. At this point the very large family joined him. Meb recalls the joyful reunion in detail.

Two years later, the family immigrated to the United States. Through hard work and positive relationships, Meb learned to love running. The book details his journey from a small country on the African continent to his Olympic showing and winning the New York Marathon. Following each chapter, the reader is provided with "Runner's Tip" and "Overcomer's Tip." Overcomer's tips are not only applicable to running but succeeding in other endeavors.

Inspiring and enjoyable read. I was personally so inspired that I took my youngest son to the park and walked around it for 15 minutes. Wahoo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run to Overcome.