Laura's Reviews > Princess in Love

Princess in Love by Meg Cabot

bookshelves: favorites, romance, ya, realistic-fiction

I may end up repeating some things from my Princess In the Spotlight review but bear with me (or is it bare with me? I never know...)! So once again, Mia is narrating the story from her diary. I really like this choice of format because it really does emphasize Mia's voice.

Once again, I'm not liking Lilly all that much even though she's slightly better in this book simply because Mia doesn't tell her as much so how would she know not to say certain things? Still, she still seems really selfish and never really looks at Mia's problems in a deeper light,

This book does end rather abruptly (after a certain event that we've all been hoping would happen!) although I can see the reasoning why. It's the perfect pick-up point for the next book even if it does seem a bit out of place in this book. And because the book is in diary format, we only get so much information as Mia can write down and if she's just had a totally life-changing event happen, well she isn't going to be writing much.

This time around, I actually found Grandmere a little funny. We got to see more of her personality in this book as she was developed from a more flat secondary character to a more complex one.

The one complaint I have about this book is that some things just weren't elaborated on enough and I was really confused as to what exactly went down (for example Kenny's declaration in the hallway and Mia's press conference/interview about the dress spread). It was just a little vague and Mia only suggested at things that happened rather than just reliving it play-by-play like she normally does.

The Final Verdict:
I came to love Mia even more in this installment and I'm so glad we finally get to know more about Grandmere. Once again, I found issues with Lilly and some things just weren't elaborated on enough. However, Mia's voice is as stunning as ever!
4 stars

Quotes:
“Grandmere says she can't get over the change in me. She says I seem taller. And you know maybe I am. She thinks it's because I'm wearing another one of Sebastiano's original creations, designed just for me,just like the dress that was supposed to make Michael see me as more than just his little sister's best friend . . . except that it turned out he already did. But I know that's not it. And it isn't love, either. Well, not entirely. I'll tell you what it is: self-actualization. That and the fact that it turns out I'm really a princess, after all. I must be, because guess what? I'm living happily ever after.”

“The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if pretty soon I start wearing ripped-up fishnet stockings and dyeing my hair black. Maybe I'll even start smoking and get my ears double-pierced or something. And then they'll make a TV movie about me and call it Royal Scandal. It will show me going up to Prince William and saying,'Who's the most popular young royal now, huh, punk?' and then headbutting him or something.”

“Saturday, December 12, 8 p.m., the Loft
I WILL PASS ALGEBRA THIS SEMESTER, and NOTHING IS GOING TO DISTRACT ME FROM STUDYING FOR THE FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday, December 12, 9 p.m., the Loft
I just had to go out and see the part where Bruce Willis throws the explosives down the elevator shaft, but now I am back to work.”

“I usually know almost exactly how I feel. The problem is, I just can't tell anyone.”

“Whatever. Boris, must you constantly breathe on me?”

“If the guy likes/loves you, he won't care if you are a good kisser or not.
He should like you for what you are - not how you kiss.”

“Roses are red, violets are blue. You may not know it, but someone loves you.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess in Love.

Quotes Laura Liked

Meg Cabot
“Whatever. Boris, must you constantly breathe on me?”

Meg Cabot
“If the guy likes/loves you, he won't care if you are a good kisser or not.
He should like you for what you are - not how you kiss.”

“Saturday, December 12, 8 p.m., the Loft
Saturday, December 12, 9 p.m., the Loft

Meg Cabot
“Roses are red, violets are blue. You may not know it, but someone loves you.”

June 1, 2015 – Shelved