Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > My Sister's Voice

My Sister's Voice by Mary Carter

Nov 06, 2010

bookshelves: deaf-heroine, kindle, 2010-release
Read from November 08 to 10, 2010

I have really enjoyed this novel. It made me laugh a couple times and it also made me sad at others. I love the heroine, Lacey. She's deaf, rides a motorcycle, has a puggle and a major attitude. She's very likable. When trying to read people's lips, she would sometimes run down a multiple choice in her head like this: He either called her a: a cyclone b: a silo or c: a psycho. I LOVED this feature cause really, that is what it is like, reading people's lips. It's half a guessing game.

The author also really understands what it's like to be Deaf. I was amazed at this spot on, wonderful quote from Lacey, "It was draining to constantly be looked at as deficient, handicapped, in need of fixing. Other people's opinions - that was the handicap she faced, not her hearing loss!"

Anyway, Lacey grew up in a home for orphans so when she discovers she may have a twin running around out there, she is really surprised. When she finds out that her twin is hearing and raised by their parents, she is shocked and hurt. Was she just thrown away like garbage? If so, why?

So... a bunch of stuff happens and she meets her twin sister, Monica and the truth is slowly revealed. BUT Lacey has gained a lot more than a sister.. she has gained a stalker. Monica is not satisfied being Lacey's sister and friend, she wants to BE Lacey. There are some psychological issues here..

The ending had a lot of surprises that I didn't see coming. I thought it was too pit pat considering the seriousness of the situation and the lies that were told, but I enjoyed the book enough not to take away a star.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the part when Lacey goes to church to be "healed." Laughed my butt off.

Highly recommend this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Voice.

11/09/2010
37.0% "Love Lacey's parts. The author really knows and understands Deaf culture."

Shomeret This is my next read after my current book.

Tara Chevrestt I immediately bought it on kindle. I am very excited about it. I love reading about deaf heroines.

message 3: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Is this the book that you thought I had given insight too? It sounds interesting. Iam anxious to see what you think of it.

Tara Chevrestt Yes.. I feel as though I'm reading about myself except that I don't sign and am not in the art industry. The heroine has a puggle, is deaf, rides a motorcycle, has a long lost twin, and her boyfriend's name is Alan. Crazy!

message 5: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Excellent review, so another one for my TBR list.

Shomeret I started this book yesterday and I'm loving it too, Tara.

Tara Chevrestt The ending is.. rough, but I loved the rest of it so much, I couldn't see taking away a star. Lacey's parts.. life for the Deaf is really like that. I was so impressed that a hearing author was able to capture that. (I think she is hearing. Can't find anything saying otherwise. Profile says she took Sign Language classes.)