Margaret Welwood's Reviews > A Friend for Growl Bear

A Friend for Growl Bear by Margot Austin

Jun 01, 2015

Who wants to play with a growling bear, even a very little one? Certainly not the rabbit, squirrel, mouse or birds. Then when Old Owl tells the others that they need not fear Growl Bear, their fear turns to contempt.

So what's a little guy to do when nobody understands that he just wants to be friends? And perhaps it's not only bear cubs who find that their friendly overtures are misunderstood!

As with other children's stories I enjoy, this one has an HEA ending. All that kept me from giving it five stars was the animals' contemptuous treatment of Growl Bear; I found this a bit overdone, and softened it when I was reading to the kindergartners.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Friend for Growl Bear.

Finished Reading
June 1, 2015 – Shelved

message 1: by Margot (new)

Margot Finke Margaret, I liked your realistic review, and pinned it to my REVIEWS (kids to YA) on Pinterest.

Margaret Welwood Thank you so much. I'm glad to have a presence on Pinterest.

message 3: by Margot (new)

Margot Finke I am on many social networking sites, but I find Goodreads difficult to understand and navigate. Some of my books are up here but not all 14 of them. I wish I could master this site, as many seem to go here and review books. Pinterest is easy, and I get dozens of likes and repinns daily.

Margaret Welwood If you contact the Goodreads Librarians group, they may be able to help you. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
Customer Service is very good, too. They helped me at first, then sent me to the Librarians group. Both were speedy and helpful.

Margaret Welwood By the way, I also have seven grandchildren!

message 6: by Margot (new)

Margot Finke Thanks for the helpful link, Margaret. 7 is a lucky number, mate. And last Dec, just after my birthday, my first great grandson was born--what a thrill. Are all your children and grandchildren living close by, or are they spread around? Mine are nearby, so I am really lucky.

Margaret Welwood Three grandchildren are nearby, and one more should be coming this year. By the way, it won't be seven forever. Number eight is due to arrive early in the New year.

message 8: by Margot (new)

Margot Finke WOW! You are racking them up, Margaret. Good for you!!

Margaret Welwood I especially love having the three close by.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hogarth Lovely title - A friend for Growl Bear

Margaret Welwood Yes, the pix are sweet, too.